Any ideas??

hornplayer

Ok, I'm confused.

The last week I've really upped my exercise. - I was starting to get the munchies and feeling sulky, coz I can't eat the things I wanted to. In the past, exercise has really helped with this, so I've been either doing 2x40min interval training on my treadmill a day, or an hour and a half cardio plus weights at the gym. I'm still eating more calories than I'd like to, but my carb count is still under 50g.

Despite the exercise, My blood sugar readings have been higher than normal all week, 7's, 8's and 9's. - last night, 2 hours after food, about an hour after exercise, they hit 13!!! I was diagnosed T2 on May 1st. I'd got my readings down to 4's, 5's and 6's. but I was only going to the gym occasionally.

I don't exercise on an empty stomach. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Will this settle down?

faeoj

heyy, my bs always go up after exercise! I used to get really confused thinking I was using sugar so should go down! seems this isn't the case..a couple of my t1 mates also have the same thing happen to them!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

Thanks for replying!

Annoying isn't it? We're s'posed to exercise, that puts up blood sugar, we're s'posed to lose weight, - not eating enough/going too long between meals, makes my blood sugar spike! Feels like I can't win!

- read on another thread that pain can make sugars go up. Anyone know anything about that??

- I had a very serious fall off a horse nearly 4yrs ago. Damaged my hip and lower back. (Which is weird coz I landed on my head) I put weight on with the forced inactivity. In that time, whenever I've lost even a small amount of weight, my posture changes and I'm in agony ( - not my own diagnosis/excuse, orthopaedic surgeon! :) ) I've lost 2 stone in the last 7 weeks and I hurt (a lot!!) pretty much all the time. :( I don't take pain killers coz I read somewhere else that some are bad. My doctor is a bit hysterical, so don't really want to mention it if I can help it. - he'd probably have me in a body brace! :/

Could this seriously be putting my blood sugars up???

faeoj

I know it's mad isnt it! you exercise to lose weight...bloods go up....need more insulin...insulin makes you store fat! I reckon then that we shouldn't exercise for medical reasons hahaah!!!

Paulwbm

What? Scary! I too thought that exercise was good for reducing the BG levels. This does seem to be a disease of contradictions (and not just complications)! I'm having the same confusion over diets! I do know that if I feel a bit wooly headed and anxious, going for a brisk walk can make me feel better within around 40 mins. Haven't checked the before and after levels though. Is it possibly true that, although exercise raises the levels in the short period following the exercise, the overall level trend will be downward?

onthegow

Hi.
I have just started training on a road bike I am t1. I found anything I do under an hour makes sugars go up so I counter this by a unit or two as long as my sugars are 7 or above before training. I then eat when I have done my hour and give insulin to cover this. I then check 2 hrs later and it seems to work for me. But I have had some strange readings. If I do more than an hour I I give myself one or two units of insulin again and then 20 mins into training I start on the fast acting glucose and do this ever 20 mins or so 4g at a time. When I finish I check blood give one two units insulin as long as they are above 5. I then shower eat food give insulin and monitor every 30-45 mins for the 1-2 hrs. What I also find some 6-7 hrs after training hard 1 + hrs that my sugars go down so I counter by eating the things I normally can't. Indulgence.
I also have to consider the weather temperature and constantly altering its a never ending. I am aiming to cycle 60 miles Friday first really long cycle so that should be fun anticipating some low and high readings. !!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hornplayer said:
Ok, I'm confused.

The last week I've really upped my exercise. - I was starting to get the munchies and feeling sulky, coz I can't eat the things I wanted to. In the past, exercise has really helped with this, so I've been either doing 2x40min interval training on my treadmill a day, or an hour and a half cardio plus weights at the gym. I'm still eating more calories than I'd like to, but my carb count is still under 50g.

Despite the exercise, My blood sugar readings have been higher than normal all week, 7's, 8's and 9's. - last night, 2 hours after food, about an hour after exercise, they hit 13!!! I was diagnosed T2 on May 1st. I'd got my readings down to 4's, 5's and 6's. but I was only going to the gym occasionally.

I don't exercise on an empty stomach. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Will this settle down?

Hi, could it be the old liver dump, that could be a possibility? Diabetes can be so complicated at times, the more you do the more frustrating it can be.

Maybe you could still do exercise but not as much, say 50% less on what you have been doing and keep track of the exercise and food and see if that helps and make comparisons. Or could you call your DSN and ask for some help and advice. I hope the readings get better soon.

Best wishes RRB

hornplayer

Interesting.

I'm in far less pain today. - my hip and back (God, that makes me sound old!;) ) seem to be adjusting to the posture change. - and, today, my blood sugars have been back in the 6's. (yeay! I'll be riding again by Christmas!)

So, do we think there is a link between pain and high blood sugar? More study needed?? Maybe I should publish. ;)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
very much depends on how hard you're working. For me, through long experience an HR of 148 is my max aerobic. At this level I burn glocose until about 30-60 minutes until the fat metabolism kicks in. If I'm going slower the fat metabolism kicks in later.

For shorter events like a ten mile time trial where i'm oerating with an HR of 165 to max, but only over half an hour or so, the liver shunt kicks in.

So back the OP, if you want to burn fat and lose weight, go longer and slower, but you may need to check your blood sugars before you get there to make sure you don't drop too low.

Also, it may be a good idea to separate the cardio and weights to different days. The weights is by defiinition anaerobic and will be going in the opposite direction to a long steady state session.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
ElyDave is correct, it's not really the amount of exercise that affects BG as much as the intensity. Try experimenting and you'll see very different results. A good tool to obtain would be a HR monitor. Very cheap nowadays and a good guide to train to.

hornplayer

Thanks guys, really good advice. My brother has told me much the same thing but he isn't diabetic so he doesn't have the same BG issues.

I have tried working slower for longer, - I am working a lot slower than I'm used to. It's difficult to judge. My body wants to go faster. I have a heart rate monitor. It's s'pose to link to my treadmill but I can't get it to behave. I'm not even slightly out of breath and I barely get warm enough to raise a sweat. - i'm used to racing around a cross country course on horseback, ending up barely able to stand, I feel like a fraud to even think of this as exercise!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
If you get your treadmill to take you at 3mph at that pace you will burn calories and improve your cv fitness rate

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
If you get your treadmill to take you at 3mph at that pace you will burn calories and improve your cv fitness rate

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
If you walk at 3-4 mph you will burn calories low impact but beneficial

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
That's a perfect speed I did not want to be rude by presuming too much