Any one on insulin used slimming world

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm posting because I'm fed up of being fat and have found as so many others have that it can be difficult to lose weight if you're using insulin particularly if you are bolusing for carbs. I have lost weight in the past on low carb diets, but I keep finding them very difficult to stick to because i seem to have low will power, and the food choices can (in my view) be quite limited.

Anyway I have decided to join slimming world as I think the group support may help me not to stray! I am on a basal bolus regime so must inject for my carbs, but I am hoping I can still lose weight on this programme.
I was thinking of sticking to the red (original) days as these are lower carb, higher protein, but there will still be some carbs in the form of the healthy extras/fruit/syns.

Has anyone who uses insulin, particularly rapid insulin for carbs, lost weight successfully on this plan? If so what was your approach in terms of the foods you ate, and how quickly did you lose weight?

I think in my head i associate novorapid / carbs with weight gain, but the low carb diet approach isn't working for me so I need to try another tack.

I don't have an awful lot to lose, about 20 lbs, but it would make a big difference as every pound seems to show up on me!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
AC,

I've mentioned this before when discussing SW. My wife was on this diet a few years back and at the time there was a type 2 in the same group who lost a considerable amount of weight using SW, at the time i was looking to budge a stone or two and the SW Consultant suggested to my wife that I came along as they have diets adapted to people living with diabetes.

I can't say what plan they have for diabetics as I never went along, I'm sure if you go along and discuss your own dietary preferences they could work with you to find a plan suitable for your own needs.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
noblehead said:
AC,

I've mentioned this before when discussing SW. My wife was on this diet a few years back and at the time there was a type 2 in the same group who lost a considerable amount of weight using SW, at the time i was looking to budge a stone or two and the SW Consultant suggested to my wife that I came along as they have diets adapted to people living with diabetes.

I can't say what plan they have for diabetics as I never went along, I'm sure if you go along and discuss your own dietary preferences they could work with you to find a plan suitable for your own needs.

I very much doubt it - as they would not understand the needs of someone on a basal-bolus regime without medical training. My dietary needs are so specific that I wouldn't trust anyone apart from a DSN or dietician at the diabetes centre to advise me on it (or perhaps others on a simlar insulin regime on this forum) In theory I can eat anything - but as to its effect on weight loss that's another matter.

The last thing i want is to discuss my diabetes with a lay person from a slimming group. Rightly or wrongly, I didn't tick the box saying I was diabetic on their form because it's personal, its private and I don't want to tell anyone unless I think they need to know.
I will give the diet a try and bolus for my carbs and see if I still lose weight but I just wanted to see if any other T1s (or indeed T2s on fast acting insulin) could shed any light on it.
There's a big difference between a T2 on tablets and a T1 (or me !) on a basal bolus regime in terms of the type of foods you can eat AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT as obviously the T2 would not be injecting insulin to cover carbs, or worrying about going hypo (I know some meds can make you hypo but not as much as a rapid acting insulin can)

bethan90

Yes, I lost 8lb in 6 weeks, but gave up as found myself straying a lot. I guess I wasn't motivated a lot, but if I had had low carb meal (red day) and had exercised, I'd end up with low BS, then have to have something carby and end up going over my syns and feel like I'd ruined my efforts.
I'm now on WW as it helps with portion control and I don't have to cut out carbs as much as on SW. Found it suits me better, but everyone is different & I wish you all the best on your SW journey! :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I may consider WW then. Is it much better? I'm finding it very strange that I can eat things like bananas for free on SW, need to inject for them, which feels 'naughty' but according to SW logic I should still lose weight.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
So far SW has been ok, I've been doing the original plan, so lots of lean protein with vegetables, but injecting for my healthy extras and syns.

I like the fact that you can eat as much as you like of the free food.

Its a bit strange not having full fat protein, and I definitely don't feel as full after, but then I am having limited amount of carbs in the form of the healthy extras and syns so I guess it balances out.

It seems more flexible than low carbing. The plan seems quite well designed in that you can eat a lot of some (healthy) foods but there is room for treats.

Will give it a week and see if I've lost much at the next class weigh in

bethan90

I found WW much better yes, but as I said I might just be more motivated this time. The weight came off quicker on SW, whereas WW has been 1lb a week. There is so much freedom on WW. You get your point allocation, plus 49 extras for any naughties. I have been able to enjoy a meal out or a small takeaway without feeling the guilt which is great. Bananas are also free on WW. Bananas are my best friend, as they keep my BS stable for hours and they're free! Great post exercise. I would recommend WW to anyone, as long as you're willing to weigh everything out and stick to portions. They have a great app for iPhone so you can track everything as you go along.. So handy!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I'm so disappointed. After a week on SW I gained two pounds! I was following it, apart from one hypo where I had some fruit pastilled, but that's only one time.

I may well change to WW now.

I knew all this free food too good to be true :(

bethan90

Aw sorry tO hear that anticarb! Even though certain foods are free, we still have to inject for them and insulin turns to fat blah blah. Perhaps try WW and see how you get along! I look forward to hearing how you do :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Does this mean a low carb diet is my only option? How did you manage on WW if you were injecting?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I have decided to do my own low carb version of WW as the version they promote is really carby. I'm going to give myself more points, as i won't be having as much fruit and the WW points allowance seems really low, but try to only have carbs with one meal (lunch) and have low carb breakfast, dinner and snacks. An atkins shake with almond milk is only 5 points for 500ml, which will keep me going all morning, so this may just work!
Will let you know if I lose any weight.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Update -I have done WW for one week now and lost 3.5 lbs! I am trying to have two of my meals each day low carb. An atkins protein shake for breakfast and then a stir fry or salad for dinner. The points system seems to work quite well with high protein, lowish fat, low carb foods although the minute fat enters the equation it bumps up the points. I'm enjoying the flexibility of being able to have carbs with one meal, and some snacks and still lose weight.
WW wins over SW in my book.

bethan90

Congrats anticarb! I try and keep myself reasonably low carb (low in comparison to what I was eating before) Altho I do have at least 1 banana a day and 40g of porridge with almond milk. I like WW as you can incorporate anything in to your point system really- low carb, low GI, low fat etc etc. how many points are you on per day? I find when I'm very low carb I have a lot of points left over!!