Any relationship between Glipizide and Depression, please?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I'm Type 2 Diabetic for several years and have been on Metformin. I'm still on Metformin but had Glclizide added a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I developed some side effects which seemed to be attributed to the Gliclizide, such as nausea, headaches, woolly brain, very tired, no energy, no interest in things, some depression.

So, doctor changed the Gliclizide for Glipizide. I've been on Glipizide for two weeks now but although I don't feel nauseated, have few headaches, I am feeling so tired, can only move slowly, have absolutely no interest in things, very depressed and crying so, although feeling different from when taking the former medication, am feeling really unwell at the moment.,

I've just had a (requested) phone call from my GP who maintains depression is not likely a side effect, that I am depressed on/off and so little he could suggest! Yes, I do suffer from depression but I feel these tablets are causing me a problem. The GP didn't bother asking how I felt otherwise and clearly gave me the impression he wasn't interested. Not very helpful, to my mind.

So, my question is, does this medication cause side effects such as depression? Research online suggests it does. My GP claims no, and he's never heard of depression as a side effect.

I am so fed up with doctors who have no time for depressive people. I'm about at the end of my tether now.

Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Energise,

The reality is that any medication can cause all sorts of side effects. We are all such individuals that we can react very differently to any drug.

Your doctor should know this! There is also a system that docs are supposed to use to report all drug contraindications. But they very rarely do.

Even if you are the only person in the world who gets a certain reaction to a drug, it doesn't mean it isn't a real reaction, or that it should be ignored and brushed under the carpet! I would go back and keep going back until someone listens.

But it is also worth bearing in mind that every one of the symptoms you mentioned (including tiredness and depression) are also symptoms that can emerge with too high blood glucose. Since you are on Glic or Glip I understand that you should have been supplied with a test meter and strips. Have you been testing, and if so, when, and what are your readings?

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people