1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Any suggestions for jobs for the partially-sighted?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Sosgez, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Sosgez

Sosgez Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As one of the Undead (but definitely going downhill) whose sight is fading, and some would say "mind" as well, I would dearly like to find useful things to do with my time. Any suggestions ?

I volunteer. Can still make tea, one-handed these days. I'm not great on the phone. Can't understand what people say very often. I make amazingly obvious mistakes because I can't see what I'm reading very accurately. So anything that affected someone's health or was to do with money or travel would be a nightmare. Can't recognise faces very well, not to mention signs, lcd screens, phones.

Obviously I can still do a bit on a computer. Preferably nothing that has serious consequences if done incorrectly.
    Surely there are better ways to fade out ?

2. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @Sosgez

There are all sorts of aids and support and advice for people with visual impairments.

I wonder if these folks will be able to give appropriate help and advice for you.

https://www.sightsupport.org/

I hope so.

Best wishes.

3. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Sosgez, how are you with animals? How about pet-sitting? Or volunteering at an animal shelter/rescue? I suspect there are paid positions in such places too :cat:

4. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

@Sosgez ... All I can think of is what a waste !! I know you have PC talents. How skilled are you in that area?

5. Sosgez

I love cats, and a few dogs. Have been bitten by 3 animals recently so maybe they don't appreciate me?

6. Sosgez

That's my feeling exactly. I'm pretty good at World Domination, but D Trump and V Putin seem to have it sewn up.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sosgez

Thanks, I'm fully aware of these things. Unfortunately the amount of help claimed is vastly exaggerated. None are very useful in a work context. Everything one tries to do using these aids is very much slowed down. That's why I'm interested in jobs where that doesn't matter so much.

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Ah, ok, apologies. I was thinking maybe you could be of use to them with your skills and experience to help others.

9. Sosgez

Again, I'd be interested in ideas about specific paid roles where low vision barriers are unimportant.
    I have enough trouble keeping myself from harm every day. I'm not sure I would be safe helping others beyond my volunteering.

10. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

What's does your volunteering involve? That's might help others think of "stuff" you could do.

To be fair, you're not exactly seeking yourself on here, with several of your posts, on this thread, and others seemingly concentrating on what you can't do.

11. Sosgez

I mostly help people buy things in a charity shop. I don't want to do this any more.

Kinds of activities I've considered are things like: writing a book; creating some art; researching/investigating something, via internet resources; design of electronics, but not building it myself; something very niche in software development, but not in a group or with any urgency.
    This message took me more than one hour.

12. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

What coding skills do you have?

13. Sosgez

c, c++, c#, mfc, java (applets) .net(some), python (some), vhdl. Mostly win, some unix/linux, old os like rms/rt. Historically loads more, from 1976 on mainframes/minis, then many 8/16/32bit embedded/parallel cpus. e.g. image processing in machine code, Fortran then c,c#, device drivers, robot control, audio i/o, environmental monitoring, data logging, telemetry/mesh, sonar instruments, industrial lasers, DAQ systems, ATE, life testing. IoT. Real time - 1us is an eternity, some events last <1ps. Currently enjoying esp32s.
    But I'm definitely not from the modern era software engineer culture.

14. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

You alluded to that scope in a much earlier post

Find it hard to believe someone wouldn't find that valuable in some form. And if they did, could you handle it?

#14 Mike d, Feb 20, 2020 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  15. Sosgez

I don't think many employers want to take the risk.

16. Sosgez

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook