Any suggestions of what to have with porridge

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 about 4 months ago & I have weetabix with a banana for breakfast but decided I would like to try porridge for a change. However I need some suggestions of what to put with it. I do not like sweetener.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hello
Do you require sweetness? If so have you tried some of the k'sprinkle type' sweetners? What if you pop some fruit into the porridge, i.e. cut up strawberries or even some banana. I have been type 1 for over 50 years so have grown fur on my tongue, so sweetners do not leave an after taste but can understand your dilemma. At weekends sometimes my husband makes porridge and puts some salt into it. I personally don't really like the salt but its just a bit of a change. Hope this helps.

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok you could try blueberries.... i usually have porridge with flax seed cinamon and blueberries... or a banana. If you want it sweet you could try agave http://www.allaboutagave.com/ but i would check bloods as i used to use it before being diagnosed and not had it since...

hallii

Lucky you being able to eat cereals, I cannot eat either porridge or Weetabix they push my BGs up far to much. Maybe if you can manage porridge you might be able to manage a spoon of sugar? Fructose sugar is a bit better than sucrose, but I find sucralose from Aldi quite good without any taste issues.

You could try porridge made with water and some salt on it :shock:

H

Thank you all so far. It is all quite confusing & everyone is so different with their reactions to foods, I never realised.
I will give fruit a go, I only associated fruit with cold cereals.

carb-counting-mum

My little girl really likes grated apple, some cinnamon and a few raisins in her porridge (just a few, as dried fruit sends her BG quite high). We have also tried blueberries and raspberries. Sometimes a small teaspoon of reduced-sugar jam. But her favourite by far is the apple and cinnamon.

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cinamon is good because its helps Insulin resistance and blood pressure...
put blueberries in when cold i do mine in the microwave and it burst the berries to spread out into the porridge and make it tastier...

sweetners try stevia or truvia it has no calories and doesn't effect BG's... well at least doesn't effect mine

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tinkerbell, :)

Welcome to the forum,

I am afraid to say that I just pour hot water over my "Porage" and that it.

I think its something about being Scottish, although many Scot's add salt.

Nevertheless my daughter adds apple and dried cherries and she recons it is really nice.

Roy. :)

Thank you 'izzzi' I think fruit is the way to go. Apple & cinnamon sounds lovely, I may try it tomorrow, and I love blueberries so they will be going on the shopping list too!

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quite often have porridge with cinnamon sprinkled on it. The apple as well sounds lovely so i think I'll have to try that. Usually have yoghurt with raspberries and blueberries so that will be tried in the porridge too. I seem to have the same thing for breakfast 99% of the time and even though I enjoy it it nice to have other options apart from the bacon/egg at weekend.

Ann

BlindFaith

I second the cinnamon! It's lovely on porridge with Asdas sweetener (with the yellow lid, I don't remember what it's called); which is pretty much Splenda at a fraction of the price!

A teaspoon of sugar free/low sugar (whichever you find you can tolerate better) jam is lovely as well.

bethan90

My favourite on porridge is peanut butter! Absolutely yummy. Peanut butter and banana also good combo with porridge. Recently I've been putting in a teaspoon of green& blacks cocoa and added a few almonds instead of the PB. V nice and a nice chocolately treat- no need to add sweetener and there's not even that much sugar/carbs in it (3.8g per teaspoon)

carb-counting-mum

bethan90 said:
My favourite on porridge is peanut butter! Absolutely yummy. Peanut butter and banana also good combo with porridge. Recently I've been putting in a teaspoon of green& blacks cocoa and added a few almonds instead of the PB. V nice and a nice chocolately treat- no need to add sweetener and there's not even that much sugar/carbs in it (3.8g per teaspoon)

Peanut butter?? That sounds so crazy that I'm just going to have to try that! I like the cocoa and almond idea too. :D

bethan90 said:

I don't like peanut butter but I like the cocoa idea, thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BlindFaith said:
I second the cinnamon! It's lovely on porridge with Asdas sweetener (with the yellow lid, I don't remember what it's called); which is pretty much Splenda at a fraction of the price!

A teaspoon of sugar free/low sugar (whichever you find you can tolerate better) jam is lovely as well.

I like the jam idea, I will have a look to see what jams are around, that's not something I've looked at yet, I've just avoided all jams completely

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lynhow

Hi, if you like coconut, try mixing in a teaspoonful of coconut powder (you can buy a box full of it to make into coconut milk but as that's not particular good for us in large quantities, I enjoy coconut tasting porridge by just adding a small spoonful occasionally to mine - makes it delicious!) :D