any 'sweets' etc without maltitol etc?

jacquiel

I bought some Sula for son thinking - oh great - sugar free sweets

- errr found out later they do have carbs, and after a bit of investigation i realise now the 'sugar alchohols' dont mean 'sugar or carb free' for the purposes of blood sugar spiking etc

My question is =

what sweet things dont have these sugar alchohols - okay with savoury snack ideas, but just want a sweet quick and easy option (ie i dont have to make it!)

Thanks

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Jacquiel,

I avoid low sugar sweets like the plague as they are virtually 100% carbs!!

I prefer Hartleys Sugar Free Jellies or a bit of 85% Cocoa chocolate

I have seen some debate where Boots have been taken to task over their so called diabetic foods. Most of them are low sugar but very high carb, as if Boots didnt have the intelligence to make the distinction. They are clearly happy to hasten the demise of diabetics in pursuit of profits

All the Best - Steve

Vikingepigen

One of my absolutely favorite items is of course Lindt 85% dark chocolate, but it might not be so easy to get children/teenagers to eat such strong chocolate - but perhaps try 70%?

Another item which is a sweet stable with me is Waitrose' organise dried Apricots. They are high in Carbs but just a couple gives great satisfaction and they are perhaps easier going for younger people. I actually don't like apricotes, but these babies I just LOVE! Have to be careful - I can easily munch a whole packet if I get started! LOL

Hope the above helps in some small way.

Love
Alice

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The question is do these "no sugar" carb actually spike as I am not sure that they all do. e.g. Xylitol which is my sweetener of preference according to the packet has a low GI value. Am not sure about the new Stevia products in the shops- not sure if I trust how natural they are!! Now Maltitol does spike with me - I found that out when I bought some sugar free Halva back from abroad!! I like the Riccola sugar free sweets and my local sweet shop does no sugar sherbet lemons which I allow myself 1 or 2 a day!!!

tree-peony

I bought some Stevia sweeteners yesterday. They are in the bin :sick:

IS there actually a sweetener that doesn't taste plop?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree re stevia!! I use Xylitol (Holland and Barratts and some supermarlets) and it has no after taste. Good for your teeth as well!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Tree-peony!

Unfortunately, I find all the sugar alcohols I've tried spike me including Xylitol. The only thing you can do is try it and test.

Just a word of warning to anyone trying Xylitol - it is very poisonous (deadly) to dogs, so make sure you don't leave any sweets, cakes etc with it in near your pets.

Smidge

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chocolate is also poisonous to dogs , so are you going to give that a miss too? I eat 85%+ chocolate and its fine for me.

Artichoke

Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate 14g carbs the whole 100g bar.. two squares, spread with organic unsalted peanut butter..
2 scoops Kelly's of Cornwall clotted cream ice cream or Wall's Classics Cornish vanilla ice cream or strawberries and double cream and/or clotted cream - the ice cream is 11g or 12g carbs for 2 scoops IIRC