Any typ1 diabetic on Metformin

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I would like to know if There is any type 1 diabetics who have had weight gain issue and have tried metformin and how was their experience as well as weight loss if it worked?

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I was doing some research myself on the Internet and saw a few ppl saying they take them and have benefited from them so I'm confused .. In general I wasn't to know if any type 1 has been given any medicine to stop pilling the weight on, of course diet and excersize is a must but even when I eat low carb as in under 10 grams I need a lot of insulin which is not normal

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 34 years and have recently been prescribed metformin which surprised me at the time, thinking it was a type 2 drug. I have suffered with the early morning highs or liver dumps for as long as I can remember, starting the day with BG s of 16-20!! and feeling pretty awful with it! I can get the levels down by mid morning to normal but it was really having an impact on my life, I mentioned it to just about every professional I saw with not much success as my hba1c wasn't too bad! but I felt ill, waking up that way! I have a new consultant whom has suggested this! Unfortunately I can't tell if it is working as at the same time I reduced my carbs by half and cut out all sweet stuff and split my long acting in two, so lots of things going on at once! I will just say, the metformin journey is slow and has to be to avoid side effects!! I Started on the 'normal' type metformin with awful stomach side effects so was put on the slow release type and my nurse advised literally to start with half a tablet for a day or two and then very slowly up the dose! I have done this but I am still on the 500mg twice daily whereas I can actually take double that but I feel really sick so I'm sticking with that at them moment! As for the weight lose issue, I am probably carrying a stone too much and much to all my efforts can never lose it! Not gaining either but never lose any....I think age is a factor there too! Lol

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the information, I have appointment with my doctors soon so il mention it however I did say that befor but it's almost like they don't want to perscribe that unless u gain too much weight which sucks,,,keep me updated hopefully it will work it and ur health will get better ..:)