Any type 1 diabetics tried the Newcastle diet?

Elc1112

Out of curiousity, have any type 1 diabetics on here tried the Newcastle diet? I know it was designed to help type 2 diabetics and I also know that, being a type 1, there is a much greater risk of hypos using this diet. Anyway, be interested to hear from anybody that has tried :)

Emma

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Give us a clue, what is the newcastle diet, you may get more responses if you tell us, just a thought :)

Elc1112

Hi Sally, it's this 600 cal (technically 800 cal) a day diet that has been shown to improve control in type 2 diabetics. It's been on the news quite a lot recently and there are a lot of posts about it on this forum.

In a nutshell, you have 600 calories worth of a supplement drink (optifast, I believe) every day. You then have a further 200 calories of starchy veg.

It's supposed to be very good for losing weight (not suprising when you eat so little!). I've heard a lot on this forum from type 2s who has tried it, but no type 1s...

Em

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely it's aim was to reduce visceral fat ie around the pancreas and liver and thus 'reverse' insulin resistance. This would help for people with T2 but not do much for people with T1.
Because of it's very low calorie intake it was supposed to be done under medical supervision. I doubt many doctors would want someone who was insulin dependent to undertake it. Even with a pump it would be difficult to get both basal and bolus right, with other insulins it would be even harder.
Too much insulin ;hypos. Too little , potentially great weight loss but danger of high glucose and DKA. Devil and deep blue sea.