Anybody had an angiogram?

ClaireG 06

I ended up in A&E last night. I am already having investigations for high blood pressure, chest pain and palpitations. I have been told that i will have to have an outpatient angiogram. I was just wondering if anyone here has had one?

I've had a quick google and it doesn't sound a pleasant experience! It also says you can't eat for upto 8hrs before, how do you manage that if your on insulin? I'm a type 2 but take a mixed insulin ( humulin m3).

Reactions: ickihun

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My wife Ann & several of my tennis friends have had angiogram & subsequent angioplasty. The procedure is basically painless. Ann's was 8 years ago, & she is fit & well - swims 40 lengths (1 Km) most days.

The procedure is to identify artery blockage & enlarge it & insert a stent to correct any problem.

We can't help with insulin - I hope others can. Make sure everybody knows, & take some reserve food in with you. Ann didn't, came back to the ward after supper & after the cafe had closed. She was weak & hungry next morning, poor girl.

pianoman

To wish you well Claire... often it seems that tests like these are just to rule out things rather than to confirm a diagnosis... that doesn't stop us worrying about it though. :? Be well. :)

No words of advice about the Angiogram itself other than to check if you are taking Metformin... IIRC there is some caution about Metformin and some the dyes used as X-Ray contrast. No worries, just something to ask the Doctor about.

Also best to ask the Doctor for advice on the Insulin... as a Type 2 you may be able to skip it for a day or so beforehand... they may prefer to have your BG on the high side anyway.

trand

I' ve had 4 of them , but it depends on the person, I was a bit wary on the first one,(the unknown) after that was ok about them, just try and relax, and good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Claire,

I had this procedure carried out 12 weeks ago and it's not as bad as you might think, they go in through the groin which isn't painful as they anesthetise the area, at best you feel a warm/funny sensation as the dye is released, if you are brave you can watch the procedure on the screen although I choose not too.

Afterwards you'll go to a recovery ward where they put a pressure dome on the entry wound in the groin, after 10 - 15 minute intervals they release the pressure gradually and remove it completely after a hour if the bleeding has stopped and the artery is sealed, at this point you'll get something to eat and a cup of tea.

On the day after the procedure the cardiologist will visit you on the ward, I was fortunate that he told me straight away that all was well and my vessels were clear. I was admitted prior to my angiogram and was told not to eat or drink after 6am, I injected as normal and had 2 slices of toast and just monitored my bg throughout the morning until they wheeled me down, if concerned then ask the day surgery team to page the diabetes nurse who will come and advise you best.

Good luck and please don't worry!

ClaireG 06

Thanks all :D

I'm not on Met so don't have to worry about that one. Am seeing the GP regularly for my blood pressure so will ask about the insulin etc.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, Claire,
I've now had two angiograms, one at Papworth Hospital 10 years ago with access in the groin, and one three months ago at The University Hospital Coventry with access through the wrist (infinitely preferable!). The procedure has come on a fair bit in ten years! Neither was too traumatic an experience... uncomfortable rather than painful, and in both cases the staff were extremely kind and helpful, and everything was fully explained.. no nasty surprises. Tell them you are Type 2 from the outset, and I'm sure they will take this in their stride and make allowances for your dietary requirements. People differ, of course, as do the preferences and working practices of consultants, but my recent procedure involved admission at 7 a.m., and I was home again by mid-afternoon. Be prepared for a lot of sitting around doing nothing... take a good book, DVD player or what -have-you to pass the time. If they decide to do an angioplasty at the same time, you may be in overnight.
Don't worry! Its really not that bad. Good luck.

Nanaclaire

Hi I have had a angiogram in2003 after experiencing chest pains I didn't find it too bad certainly isn,t painful regarding fasting for 8hrs I didn't I had to travel from Carlisle to Newcastle to be there for 8 o'clock the only thing I had to do was stop Metformin 24 hrs before and I had toast & tea before I left with my insulin & u got something to eat after the procedure I was in hospital until about 4pm then allowed to go home good luck nana claire

smitha48

Hi Claire,

I've had 4 Angiograms in the last 8 months.....Each one leading to an Angioplasty (Stenting).

The Plasty's were conducted immediately after the Angiograms (same procedure really).

I was told by the cardiologist that i could eat breakfast normally on the day of the procedures, and as i was towards the end of the list on my last one, they even gave me a light lunch about half an hour before i went down :D

Anyway there's nothing to worry about....a little uncomfortable when they first insert the 'tube', but not painful, after that no problems. Depending on where you go will depend on the procedure, but as previously stated it tends to be through the groin into the femoral artery, though i am aware that people getting it done in Middlesborough have been 'done' through an incision in the wrist!!

As everyone else has said don't worry about the procedure.

good luck and i hope they don't find anything too untoward.

Tony

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know this is an old thread but I thought it may help to reassure others, as me.

Reactions: noblehead

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had one 19 months back, they went in threw my wrist and it was ok no pain at alland only have a minute scar

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same for me last year. Went in thru my wrist and no discomfort. An army of medics in the 'theatre' and very well looked after by all. One of the excellent NHS experiences.