Anybody heard about issues with Omnipod in France?

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I just got back from seeing my consultant. She asked me whether I had heard about French doctors/patients using the Omnipod who had issues with it (issues as in there's too many variables if you can say so!?) so it potentially gets taken off the market there. I told her I hadn't heard anything but will enquire. She said it might not be correct as she just heard it from the bushfunk.

I think I'll ring Ypsomed and ask - I guess they'd know.

tfishuk

I changed to Omnipod from Medtronic in the Summer and I haven't had any issues with Omnipod whatsoever, in fact my sugar levels have never been so stable. I personally think that as the insulin is delivered directly from the pod and no tubing involved it is so much more efficient.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many people in France are actually using it?
The HAS document refusing accreditation is here (2011)
http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/upl...ylife_omnipod-29_novembre_2011_3928_avis.pdfI
The reasons for refusal give were about the quality of evidence provided.
( very small short term trials, few subjects, not tested in children or pregnancy, no evidence provided that the bolus algorithms worked. Insufficient comparative study against other pumps)
I tried to find an update, there isn't one on the HAS site so I assume it's still not reimbursed. Certainly I wasn't offered one when I came to choose my new pump. http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/jcms/c_39085/fr/recherche?portlet=c_39085&text=omnipod&opSearch=Rechercher&typesf=opinions/generated.AVISProduitsEtPrestations
(there may be people who have one but pay for it privately)
When I was searching, I did find a young woman earlier in the year trying to start a facebook page for those that wanted it so I suppose things haven't changed.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting stuff @phoenix. Sounds like France is stricter than the UK about the pumps they will fund. Which makes me wonder - are there any other pumps that the UK funds that France won't (or vice versa)?