Anybody here speak Spanish?

DeafDiabetic

I'm shortly going to Gran Canaria for a week's "Get Away From It All" break and don't speak a word of Spanish.

I'm staying in a self catering appartment so will be buying my own food out there locally and a bit worried about the language barrier.

Can anybody please translate for me:

1). Granary bread

and

2). pasteurised homogenised semi skimmed milk.

Thanks

DD

Hasta la Vista!

Grazer

"Pan Granero" is granary bread (I think!) The "ero" is pronounced "aero" and is the bit you should emphasise in the word.
"Leche semidesnatado pasteurizado" is semi-skimmed pasteurized milk. emphasise the second from last syllable of each word. Not sure they'll know if it's pasteurized or not! I'd just go for "Fresco" to get fresh milk rather than long life (they sell a lot of long life)
Hope it helps

RussG

Pan integral is probably a better bet I think for granary style bread I think. It's a catch all term for wholemeal etc. I haven't really seen loads of this type in Spain though although you're not going to mainland Spain, so I'm not 100% what you'll get.

You get a lot of UHT milk in Spain, semidesnatada is semi-skimmed. Leche fresca will get you fresh milk. Pasteurizada is pasteurised obviously.

the z is pronounced either as a 'th' or a 's' depending on where you're from. I was always taught to pronounce it as a 'th'. (past -err-i-THADA) the d is also pronounced a bit like 'the'. Leche is leh-CHAY .

Integral stresses the final syllable. (in-teg-RALL)