1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone aware of CBT therapy?

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by Veryanxious, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

My anxiety have started acting up again. I was once diagnosed as probable case of mild bipolar2. I would like to know if anyone is aware of self help CBT? And if it is effective. I don't want to go to psychiatrist as they are always ready to give medications.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

CBT has a long history of success. It is a well accepted therapy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

I have had CBT many years ago now and at the time it did not work as my depression was more serve than thought. I have heard a lot of people say it helped them, so there is no harm in trying. We all know the lack of mental health care is at a high level and some treatments that you could get 10 years ago, you have to wait 6-12 months. Give it ago the worst thing you can feel is that it did not work for you. You are worried about being put on tablets but the doctors are trying to cut down on medication and are trying other methods.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. CosmicOwl

CosmicOwl Type 1 · Member

CBT is a great form of therapy, it’s not easy though and takes full commitment and dedication for it to work. If you go for it, definitely get as many sessions as you can and ask to extend them as I believe they schedule 6 at a time.

Personally I have had DBT which is basically the same thing but it’s tailored for people with borderline personality and lasts a lot longer, and it seriously changed my life for the better. Some people I knew struggled with the mindfulness aspects of the therapy so I would research that as well, as you’ll be learning those techniques and it’s what CBT and DBT heavily rely on.

The waiting list will be long, so practise as much self care as you can in the mean time, but I would highly recommend you try the therapy if you’re ready to have some lifestyle changes mentally, and want a long term solution rather than shorter terms with medication. I no longer take any forms of anti depressant or medication for my mood, however I believe people should have whatever treatment works best for them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I had EMDR therapy for complex PTSD, it's a form of CBT. I had a well-trained therapist so it worked to resolve some of my past issues, but going through the process was very tough and there were weeks I thought I'd have to give up.
    I am about to go to a new therapist for some 'booster' CBT as I still 'stress eat' carbs. It's been 9 months since my assessment for therapy, nearly 10 months since I applied - but hoping I will get enough help has kept me going during this time.

I would not have tried it as self-help because the flashbacks/nightmares, etc were too severe.

6. LiamC93

LiamC93 Type 1 · Active Member

CBT is a very personal approach and is what you make of it, when I had I thought the concept was brilliant and it really gets you thinking about how to think differently.. however I wasn’t too comfortable with my therapist to which leading me to a not so great experience! Hoping to try again soon as I still the concept is amazing!

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook