Anyone else have a diabetic dog?

andreaabbott1

Great not only is my husband diabetic now my little westie is to
just wondering if anyone else has a diabetic dog
My dog was diagnosed last week, it happened suddenly, he just seemed suddenly to get very very slow and have no energy as well as urinating at night in the house.
I have to injected him 12 hrs apart every day with Insulin, so I feed him at 8am and 8pm and give him his insulin

poor dog is miffed as he was always fed at lunch time and he looks for his dinner

I f you have a diabetic dog please do post as I am feeling rather alone and there isnt any forums on the web at all

Andrea

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sorry I don't have one, but years ago a neighbour of mine did. Unfortunately he didn't dispose of his syringe and needle very well. My 5 yr old daughter found it on the street and very carefully brought it to me (I must have educated her properly). We lived in a cul de sac of 10 homes so it didn't take long to find out who was the culprit, they were very apologetic. I was just glad that addicts hadn't left their stuff lying around.
Good luck with your dog, I hope he's insured, how much does it cost to jag him?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a search through old forum threads for this - I can remember a couple of very interesting threads more than a year ago on the subject, and there was some really excellent advice on alternative sources of insulin, needles and diet, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be looking for help with his diet as well, what do you feed him?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Good point re. diet. My dog has grain free kibble, but we also make our own food with chicken, mince and veg - broccoli, cauli and carrots with a bit of olive oil in. We freeze them and take out a pack every day. But you can get frozen dog food thaw it and give it RAW. There is actually a web site about feeding Raw, they may well have info on the site.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My old boss had a diabetic Jack Russel... (This was over 20 years ago.?) you will be surprised how much carb is in a tin of dog food.. Then the mixer..
I know he had trouble controlling the BS in the beginning. Used to chase it round the garden with a pee stick.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I had a collie with diabetes many years ago. If your dog is used to being fed at lunch time give him some unprocessed meat IE, chicken, He will love you for ever. Most super markets sell 3 chickens for a tenner so cook them all at once and portion them out and freeze.

Reactions: 3 people
S

Shar67

Not got a diabetic dog but have on that has the odd seizure due to a brain injury (he is a rescue, his skull had been fractured we think by a hard kick)
I feed my dogs raw food from natures menu, the food is frozen you just thaw it out and feed, Ben cannot have pork or chicken as it makes him itch, so he has beef, tripe or turkey the other 2 get some chicken and duck
http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/category-raw-meals.aspx
There was a great difference to their skin and fur, soft and silky and Ben went from a seizure 2/3 times a week to 2/3 times a year

S

Shar67

If you want to try natures menu if you PM me your name and email address you get £10 of 1st order.
They also deliver to your door so no traipsing around

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have used both combo of Wolf Tucker and Natural Instinct (both raw, frozen complete foods), but have mainly switched to the Raw Prey Model, which we find is excellent for both the dogs and the cat.

I guess when you are diabetic, you know what to look for, but I was rather concerned when our dog was neutered, and within weeks turned from a fit muscly, active 14 month old, to a chubby couch potato. Cutting his food didn't seem to make any difference.

Since we have switched to RAW he has improved a lot, has a waistline back, and is more energetic again, but if someone sneaks him a bit of carby treat he goes all lethargic again, and seems to retain water. So I am guessing carb sensitivity at the least, and fairly high risk of diabetes unless we take care - hence the RAW (which works like a charm).

andreaabbott1

I am feeding him RAW natures menu in the mornings he has boiled chicken breast and in the evening rabbit and cranberry
it seems very hard on the web to find good information about controlling dogs blood sugar levels

but even with 2 insulin shots aday nearly every morning he is lethargic and slow, perks up in the afternoon and evening before he is fed again

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am feeding him RAW natures menu in the mornings he has boiled chicken breast and in the evening rabbit and cranberry
it seems very hard on the web to find good information about controlling dogs blood sugar levels

but even with 2 insulin shots aday nearly every morning he is lethargic and slow, perks up in the afternoon and evening before he is fed again
Have you any means of testing his blood sugar levels? Perhaps find out what the levels are meant to be for a dog and invest in the sd code free meter. It does sound as if your little man isn't having enough insulin, so perhaps pop him back to the vets for another discussion and dosage adjustment.

Would this site be of any use to you? http://k9diabetes.com/

Reactions: 2 people
Great not only is my husband diabetic now my little westie is to
just wondering if anyone else has a diabetic dog
My dog was diagnosed last week, it happened suddenly, he just seemed suddenly to get very very slow and have no energy as well as urinating at night in the house.
I have to injected him 12 hrs apart every day with Insulin, so I feed him at 8am and 8pm and give him his insulin

poor dog is miffed as he was always fed at lunch time and he looks for his dinner

I f you have a diabetic dog please do post as I am feeling rather alone and there isnt any forums on the web at all

Andrea
Hi andrea
I also have a diabetic Westie and I must admit I am finding it hard to get him stabilised

I have lots of information on this topic I can point you to.
The biggest problem I have is finding a decent vet who knows anything about this condition

Dashdoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys my collie Tag has been diagnosed some 18 days ago and likewise we are having trouble stabilising him. Vet has suggested l get a blood Gloucester testing kit. Any advise welcome please

Dashdoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi andrea
I also have a diabetic Westie and I must admit I am finding it hard to get him stabilised
Hi Andrea, I'm new here my border collie Tag has been diagnosed too and am injecting 12 hourly. We can't seem to get him stablized at the mo and am getting concerned. Vet suggested getting blood gloucose monitor and to check his levels every 2 hrs. With your hubby with diabetes you have more experience than me any advise gratefully received. Jan

This is not a quick process and everything needs to be kept the same and monitored, with small changes made, when neccessary.
For this you need a AlphaTrack 2 glucose meter.
This site is well worth joining as you can ask for guidance. http://k9diabetes.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dashdoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is not a quick process and everything needs to be kept the same and monitored, with small changes made, when neccessary.
For this you need a AlphaTrack 2 glucose meter
Hi thanx for replying where is best to get it from. I know my vet said she could get me one for £ 90 odd. Wondered if l could get one any cheeper

I got mine off Amazon.co.uk, and as it was calibrated for the Americn market I got it cheap for £64.
There is one on ebay.co.uk now from the usa at approx £65.46.
You just divide the readings by 18 to convert for uk use.

Dashdoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got mine off Amazon.co.uk, and as it was calibrated for the Americn market I got it cheap for £64.
There is one on ebay.co.uk now from the usa at approx £65.46.
You just divide the readings by 18 to convert for uk use.
Many thanks, l will look into this. Did you get your dog sorted ok. I'm a bit worried noted what you said about the vets knowing enuf about it , will just have to keep my wits about me I suppose. Lost my other collie last year in April so need to get this sorted can't loose this one too. Thanx again. Jan.