Anyone else planning on trying Thiosulphate supplement after research published in nature last week?

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought the research bulletin last week would generate huge interest, but can't find any posts on it.

If you didn't see it, it described research in mice suggesting that diabetes can be controlled much better if you boost an enzyme in mitochondria in fat cells called thiosulphate sulphotransferase. You do this with Thiosulphate. The enzyme is also known as Rhodanese, and this is a main pathway for us to get rid of cyanide. Cyanide might reduce the effectiveness of insulin.

I know a little about sulphation pathways/biochemistry from a previous life, and rather than wait 15 years for them to develop a watered down drug, I've sent off for some sodium thiosulphate crystals from Amazon. I'm happy that this will be safe......plan to just have 2 or 3 crystals (grain of rice size) a day, and see what happens. There are numerous websites where people use Thiosulphate to detox.

I'll post my experiences. If you don't hear anything within a couple of weeks, assume it has all gone horribly wrong.

I'm determined to do this, as the research makes perfect sense to me, and I think there is a realistic but small chance that my insulin resistance might improve.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
If you have experience with bio-chemistry you should be aware that animal-model studies are only the start of research, not the end - it's a long way off enough research to recommend it for humans or work out the dose, and figure out any side effects on it's own or in conjunction with other drugs. Also 'detox' is not actually a process that happens with your body, when people bandy the word around like this, they very rarely understand it. For a start, ask them what toxins the 'detox' removes and you'll get very vague statements. Your liver and kidneys detox your body perfectly well and have done so for thousands of years. If you do need 'detoxing' you'll need something more than a kale smoothie or enema or whatever.

LEM1301pyramid600.jpg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, I am not planning this
HCl + sodium thiosulfate
arrow.gif
sodium chloride + sulfur dioxide + sulfur + water.

our stomach supplies the HCL in abundance. So we get salt to up the blood pressur, and sodiun dioxide gas belches, and sulphurous farts. No thanks

Remember using this stuff fot steralising things. Have no wish to steralise myself. The gas given off is toxic.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Therr was a postulation put forward by someone on the Mercola.com website that talked about cholesterol sulphate being the key to insulin resistance. This is a pseudoscience invented compound that no one else seems to have heard of, so I have no further interest in this.

in general sulphur compounds are bad news for our bodies. Sulphates serve a purpose as external antiseptic dressings, but should not be ingested.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks oldvatr................I'm on a proton pump inhibitor, so some may be absorbed orally, but may see if I can try the transdermal route. I personally feel sulphate is generally good, sulphites are bad, so planning to take plenty of B12 and Molybdenum as well.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks oldvatr................I'm on a proton pump inhibitor, so some may be absorbed orally, but may see if I can try the transdermal route. I personally feel sulphate is generally good, sulphites are bad, so planning to take plenty of B12 and Molybdenum as well.
please see this site before you do this
http://www.ch.ntu.edu.tw/~genchem99/msds/exp19/Na2S2O3.pdf

It is a safety notice for it. This stuff is not intended for human consumption. Molybdenum is also a toxic element that used to be added to engine oils (called Molyslip?) and gearboxes. Again not suitable for internal use.
http://www.imoa.info/HSE/environmental_data/human_health/molybdenum_toxicology.php

I think you are putting yourself in danger following some dubious claims on a website that i have never trusted,

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Appreciate your concern oldvatr................I'm seriously reflecting on my plans. Might get an aquarium so I can use the Thiosulphate.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Appreciate your concern oldvatr................I'm seriously reflecting on my plans. Might get an aquarium so I can use the Thiosulphate.

Please please be careful:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am on a proton pump inhibitor, taken for protection against chronic NSAID prescription following CVE. Why do you think that is relevant to your requiring those two supplements? i see nothing in my studies of the PPI med that suggest i should ever need this type of treatment myself.
I can see a link between molybdenum and the metabolism of certain sulphite based amino acids. However most people can get sufficient intake in their diet, and deficiency is very uncommon (apparently). Is this why you have an interest in thiosulphate and molybdenum in combination? Do you live in an area where the local soil has a deficieny, or a medically diagnosed malfunction of your digestive tract that forces supplementation?

If it is just some report in Nature, then i would be very wary since that journal has been printing some very dodgy nutritional advice recently, especially in relation to protein metabolism and vit D3 and vit K2.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was taking on board your advice that Thiosulphate will immediately react with stomach acid. My PPI means I don't have a lot of HCL, so maybe some will be absorbed orally. I want Thiosulphate in my bloodstream (which I believe will be perfectly safe in small amounts), not SO2 in my belly.

Molybdenum catalyses conversion of Sulphite to Sulphate, so may help boost levels of Rhodanese, which is the whole point of me possibly doing this.

I follow diabetes research very carefully, and for me this recent report was potentially the most exciting breakthrough for a long time. The idea that low-level cyanide exposure could be part of the explosion in diabetes makes sense based on other areas of interests.

I do like to experiment on myself..........I'm on bitter melon, gymnema, turmeric, resistant starch, high strength probiotics, Ivy Gourd, pterocarpus, fenugreek, lots of vitamins and minerals. Over past 4 months, Hba1c down from 10.5 to 6.0. I think this is 75% low carbing, 25% supplements.

I'll sleep on it for a few nights (it hasn't even arrived in the post from Amazon yet). I know mice and men are not the same.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was taking on board your advice that Thiosulphate will immediately react with stomach acid. My PPI means I don't have a lot of HCL, so maybe some will be absorbed orally. I want Thiosulphate in my bloodstream (which I believe will be perfectly safe in small amounts), not SO2 in my belly.

Molybdenum catalyses conversion of Sulphite to Sulphate, so may help boost levels of Rhodanese, which is the whole point of me possibly doing this.

I follow diabetes research very carefully, and for me this recent report was potentially the most exciting breakthrough for a long time. The idea that low-level cyanide exposure could be part of the explosion in diabetes makes sense based on other areas of interests.

I do like to experiment on myself..........I'm on bitter melon, gymnema, turmeric, resistant starch, high strength probiotics, Ivy Gourd, pterocarpus, fenugreek, lots of vitamins and minerals. Over past 4 months, Hba1c down from 10.5 to 6.0. I think this is 75% low carbing, 25% supplements.

I'll sleep on it for a few nights (it hasn't even arrived in the post from Amazon yet). I know mice and men are not the same.
And i thought I was the prize guinea pig. I see that cyanide was in the DCUK newsletter this week, but the report has an error in it. it is a compound in the Antidote to cyanide poisoning that may be useful in combatting T2D, not the cyanide itself.
I had a similar journey with Bitter Melon, Gynema Silvestre and other things, but in the end it was LCHF that did the biz. So now I save money and take very few supplements.

Reactions: 2 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks,

Yes, it is Thiosulphate that is used medically to combat cyanide poisoning, and that is what they have been giving to the mice.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks,

Yes, it is Thiosulphate that is used medically to combat cyanide poisoning, and that is what they have been giving to the mice.
Please take care with these two supplements since they are unusual, and not normally taken internally except as an emergency measure.. In addition, the thiosulphate from Amazon is probably aimed at home brewers for cleaning bottles, and may not be at the strength suitable for your experiment.

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken Flowers of Sulphur in the past, and good doses of sulphur-based elements like Thiamin and L-Cysteine, although I didn't notice much difference to my blood sugar. Flowers of sulphur was a good old remedy, usually mixed with molasses. A teaspoonful was taken every now and again. Back then, of course, there wasn't much Diabetes around and taking molasses wasn't a problem. It was highly nutritious and contained all the goodness no longer in sugar.....

As far as detoxing is concerned, yes, we have always been able to detox, and when all our food was natural and unprocessed or drowned in chemicals and we weren't bombarded by hundreds of different substances and drugs etc., that are alien to the body, and we gave our bodies enough non-digesting rest in order to recover and cleanse, detoxing was undoubtedly a doddle. But we no longer live in that World.

We eat, sleep and breathe chemicals, we eat from the minute we get up to the minute we go to bed, we never fast long enough to cleanse, detox and heal, and our poor bodies cannot cope. We are not bottomless trash-cans that can endlessly absorb and process everything that is thrown at us.

You may find it interesting to look up Stephanie Seneff. She is a research scientist who is convinced that most of us do not get enough sulphur. She explains why......

This is interesting, too..... http://drsircus.com/medicine/cancer/cancer-sulfur-garlic-glutathione
Sodium thiosulphate is mentioned in one of the earliest comments.....

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
In answer to the quest posed in the title of this thread and having read the thread. Carefully my answer is.....NOT A CHANCE:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AliB
Yes I knew where you got your info from, Stephanie has been soundly debunked, ans Dr Mercola is also on the fringes. I would not follow their advice myself, although I may have done 10 years ago when I knew less about my body. My concerns remain in place, You may be putting yourself into harm by following this particular advice,

My son was recently advised to take crushed apricot kernals as an antidote /cure for cancer. This of course is a source of cyanide, and the dose he was advised to take falls within the lethal dose. These quacks are playing on peoples gullibility ansd lack of knowledge to peddle their views and opinions. They use pseudo science to make their views sound important, but these things can be harmful. Stephanie is a past master of this art.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies,

The Apricot Kernel/Laetrile link is interesting............it was why the research bulletin caught my attention.

I was involved in some research 15 years ago on sulphation pathways in autistic children - we found very low sulphate. It is known that cancer cells lack Rhodanese, which is the enzyme that catalyses the conversion of Thiosulphate to Thiocyanate, mopping up cyanide, hence the theory that we can handle small doses of cyanide which might kill cancer cells. However, i know results with apricot kernels are very disappointing, though the theory makes sense. Thiosulphate is the medical treatment for acute cyanide poisoning.

Oldvatr, I appreciate all the info/links you posted, but really did not feel Thiosulphate would be dangerous..................so I have been taking it for 2 days so far. Still here and compus mentis so far.

Just getting Molybdenum from a multivitamin/mineral tablet, no extra.

Very little effect initially, despite upping oral dose to one teaspoon yesterday.

1. Eggy farts, so most orally is probably turning to Hydrogen Sulphide as Oldvatr predicted.
2. no odd feelings, no sense of any detox
3. yesterday tried to make an ointment with water, Thiosulphate and some doublebase cream, smeared it on my arms and legs. Today, BG below 5.0 for first time in a couple of weeks according to my Libre, with no change in my normal lowcarb diet, so just a hint of an effect. Also less afternoon drowsiness than usual.

Watch this space. Will try the ointment for a few more days.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PS, Thought about experimenting on our beagle first, but that would just be cruel. He complains enough about the cigarettes and cosmetics.

Only kidding