Anyone had a liver scan

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
Hi all
I had my 3 mth blood test and it has shown up some gamma something our other , dont know what the dr said ,to be honest,so gotta go have a liver scan, whhhooo hoooo, like i need something else right now , but just wondered id anyone one else has had one , he asked if i drunk alot ,and of course i said one or two , but it seems the gamma stuff was high when Mr Diabetes come to stay ,but went down when i i sorted myself out , but high again cos i feel off wagon, but dr doesnt know about my new found war im raging with my friend .....happy days

C

catherinecherub

Nothing to worry about, it is a simple procedure.
You will get a letter with your appointment which will give you instructions on how to prepare, something simple like wearing loose fitting clothes. As your profile say that you are not on medication you do not have to worry about that. Diabetics are usually asked to ring prior to the appointment if they are on insulin or tablets.
I am sure you have seen pictures of pregnant women getting a scan and it is the same procedure but focuses on your liver.

Reactions: 2 people
N

NicolaB70

I had an ultrasound scan on my liver to test for a fatty liver just over a week ago. There was absolutely nothing to it. I was told not to eat or drink anything (except water) six hours prior to the scan. My letter did say though that if your diabetic you can have toast but absolutely no fat or dairy products. Luckily, my appointment was fairly early so I waited until I came home before eating. Good luck with your scan.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
A doddle!!;) Worst bit is the fasting and the Gel is a tad cold and sticky but the rest is a walk in the park.

plopper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my ultrasound scan on the 31/1/14 so this thread is a big help to me as well :)

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi all
I had my 3 mth blood test and it has shown up some gamma something our other , dont know what the dr said ,to be honest,so gotta go have a liver scan, whhhooo hoooo, like i need something else right now , but just wondered id anyone one else has had one , he asked if i drunk alot ,and of course i said one or two , but it seems the gamma stuff was high when Mr Diabetes come to stay ,but went down when i i sorted myself out , but high again cos i feel off wagon, but dr doesnt know about my new found war im raging with my friend .....happy days

Hi Jezza. There's Fatty Liver Disease and Non-alcoholic Liver Disease. I have had the latter for 15 years or more, with scans and biopsies and frequent liver function tests with the result going higher and higher. I was probably drinking more but normalised and yet today, heard that my recent liver function test result was normal. It's different for everyone. Just take all tests going and try to accept their guidance.

Russ

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
Hi Jezza. There's Fatty Liver Disease and Non-alcoholic Liver Disease. I have had the latter for 15 years or more, with scans and biopsies and frequent liver function tests with the result going higher and higher. I was probably drinking more but normalised and yet today, heard that my recent liver function test result was normal. It's different for everyone. Just take all tests going and try to accept their guidance.

Russ
so is the fatty liver what they are looking for ? and cheers for reply

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
I had an ultrasound scan on my liver to test for a fatty liver just over a week ago. There was absolutely nothing to it. I was told not to eat or drink anything (except water) six hours prior to the scan. My letter did say though that if your diabetic you can have toast but absolutely no fat or dairy products. Luckily, my appointment was fairly early so I waited until I came home before eating. Good luck with your scan.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I have a early one , so i can chow down when i get back , how long does it take ? cheers jerry

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
Nothing to worry about, it is a simple procedure.
You will get a letter with your appointment which will give you instructions on how to prepare, something simple like wearing loose fitting clothes. As your profile say that you are not on medication you do not have to worry about that. Diabetics are usually asked to ring prior to the appointment if they are on insulin or tablets.
I am sure you have seen pictures of pregnant women getting a scan and it is the same procedure but focuses on your liver.
oh i see, i know what it is now , i got the scan on 28th jan , good times :(

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
so is the fatty liver what they are looking for ? and cheers for reply

The liver function test measure the presence of enzymes, and mine had gone off the scale, suggesting fatty liver disease which was confirmed by the scan. The scan is an ultrasound scan, where they roll a gadget over your liver with a gel, not one where they put you in a tunnel. You might find this link interesting: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/liver-function-tests

Russ

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
The liver function test measure the presence of enzymes, and mine had gone off the scale, suggesting fatty liver disease which was confirmed by the scan. The scan is an ultrasound scan, where they roll a gadget over your liver with a gel, not one where they put you in a tunnel. You might find this link interesting: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/liver-function-tests

Russ
cheers russ , my readings have gone uo to 112 or near abouts ,was yours that high?

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Mine had gone up to 106, about 5 years ago, and I was told that it would be unlikely that it would improve. Today, I learnt that it had gone down to 68, which is still high, but acceptable. Meanwhile my blood sugar levels have gone up along with my blood pressure. I have been caring for my wife, 24/7 for the last 2 1/2 years, but she died in July and I had completely ignored my diabetes.

Russ

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
My readings were 534 when diagnosed in April 13. July 13.-254 and Dec 13 - 158, hopefully by my next blood tests in April it will have gone down again. I don't drink, maybe one glass of wine at Christmas but didn't bother with that this last one. Take 1 x 500 metformin a day. I think 51 should be the normal reading

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
Mine had gone up to 106, about 5 years ago, and I was told that it would be unlikely that it would improve. Today, I learnt that it had gone down to 68, which is still high, but acceptable. Meanwhile my blood sugar levels have gone up along with my blood pressure. I have been caring for my wife, 24/7 for the last 2 1/2 years, but she died in July and I had completely ignored my diabetes.

Russ
russ , dont know you ,but you had a sh@t 2 1/2 years so i can understand u wanting to care for the wife and not yourself , but i hope u start to look after yourself now , and keep smiling ,and cheers for all your help

jezza220

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
salad
My readings were 534 when diagnosed in April 13. July 13.-254 and Dec 13 - 158, hopefully by my next blood tests in April it will have gone down again. I don't drink, maybe one glass of wine at Christmas but didn't bother with that this last one. Take 1 x 500 metformin a day. I think 51 should be the normal reading
Wow hazel , that is great news , u r doing great , to getting them results down ,what did they say to you at 534 , well done