Anyone had problems with xylitol?

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I'm trying to decide which sweetner to buy and have been looking again at xylitol but looking at reviews on Amazon there are some horror stories re the effect of xylitol on digestion. Just wondered what other people's experiences were.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No personal experience, but isn't it the one that dogs are allergic to? So it's probably not a good idea to have it in your house if you have dogs.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I own xylitol but I havnt used it yet so I will be following this thread with interest. At the moment I am using an Eryrthritol/Stevia mix.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used both xylitol and erythritol and they seem quite similar.

The story I've heard is that xylitol is not absorbed at all by the gut. So it reaches the lower intestine pretty much intact, and that can cause "gastro" problems in some people. Apparently Erythritol is absorbed, so it may be a better option if xylitol is a problem to you. BTW. Although erythritol is absorbed, it doesn't get broken down into sugars, so it still has minimal effect on BGL.

For the record, when I tried xylitol it didn't cause me any problems, but I was generally having serves under about 8 grams. I suspect that the people having problems are probably consuming far more of the stuff.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use mine in baking alone and I usually only have one small piece of baking a day. Does the xylitol have any effect on your BS as I was just looking at the packet I have in the cupboard and it says in 100gr there is 100gr of carbs.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I use mine in baking alone and I usually only have one small piece of baking a day. Does the xylitol have any effect on your BS as I was just looking at the packet I have in the cupboard and it says in 100gr there is 100gr of carbs.
Yes it's technically a form of carbohydrate. But no, it will have minimal effect on your BSL as it's at all not well absorbed.

As I said above, even the (chemically very similar) erythritol which is absorbed in the GI tract, still has minimal impact on BGL due to the fact that it isn't broken down into sugars.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thanks for the replies, I've just bought Karen Barnaby's low carb cookery book and she reccomends Splenda, but according to Dr. Bernstein this is a big no no, so trying to find a substitute which doesn't have side effects. Just feel like I'm going round in circles!:banghead:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really think its just a matter of personal choice when it comes to sweeteners. If you read one website they will say use this instead if that, its better for you and then you can go on another website which will say the opposite. I find myself in the same boat as different recipes call for different sweeteners and trying how to work out how much to use if you use a different one is maddening.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for the replies, I've just bought Karen Barnaby's low carb cookery book and she reccomends Splenda, but according to Dr. Bernstein this is a big no no, so trying to find a substitute which doesn't have side effects. Just feel like I'm going round in circles!:banghead:
Why does Dr Bernstein say Splenda is a big no no?

I haven't had any problems with xylitol but if it can cause diarrhoea, that's not always a bad thing, if the person tends more towards constipation (as I do).

I'm not aware of any good solid scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners are bad for us. I'd rather use them than add sugar to my food, that's for sure.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Splenda has aspartame in it which a lot of people dont like. Im with you though @CatLadyNZ, I tend to look at the scientific evidence.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Splenda has aspartame in it which a lot of people dont like. Im with you though @CatLadyNZ, I tend to look at the scientific evidence.
Yeah, I've read a lot of articles lately saying that aspartame is quite safe. I see no need to avoid it.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Why does Dr Bernstein say Splenda is a big no no?

I haven't had any problems with xylitol but if it can cause diarrhoea, that's not always a bad thing, if the person tends more towards constipation (as I do).

I'm not aware of any good solid scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners are bad for us. I'd rather use them than add sugar to my food, that's for sure.
basically because it contains maltodextrin which is carbs in some of Karen's recipes she suggests using 2 tbsps there are 3.8gmsof carb in a teaspoon, so it adds up when trying to keep to 30gs of carb a day.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that xylitol and erythritol are both good to use for baking. I preferentially use erythritol in a "golden" granulated form (Sukrin Gold) - mainly because of the danger to dogs issue with xylitol, and also because erythritol's also lower in calories, and together with stevia it's the one that seems to be most recommended for diabetic use.

Robbity

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Xylitol gives me...no polite way of saying this...explosive wind for several hours; honestly I could launch Zeppelins !

Have had the misfortune of coming across it in many sugar free foods; have to watch labels very closely for it.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Zylitol and don't seem to have any problems however I only normally use about 1 teaspoon a day so that may be the reason why.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think any of the sugar alcohols can cause flatulence if one is susceptible! These end in -ol.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just used xylitol in my baking and the taste is good and I dont seem to have any problems with digestion ect. The one thing I did find was that it made my baking moister than when I used the erythritol/stevia blend which was great for the muffins and cheesecake slice but not so great for the fudge slice as its meant to have a crunchy layer on the bottom.