1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone have symptoms of low blood sugar before diabetes?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Medina27, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Medina27

Medina27 · Active Member

For YEARS leading up to my diagnosis I would have sugar crashes where my brain/body would go into panic mode for sweet foods and the symptoms would immediately subside upon eating them.

This happened through out my late 20's and now age 31, diabetic probable type 1.

Did anyone else have this?

2. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sounds more like a craving called Candida. There are bacteria in the gut that feed on sugar and produce Candida yeasts, which can lead to complications. The majority of people eat normally and never have complications though :) have a look at the Harcombe diet, the first section is aimed at getting you over various cravings such as Candida. The author wrote it based on the diet the family went on when her little brother got diagnosed with T1 diabetes, it's really interesting :)

3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. Your symptoms describe an imbalance of insulin/food (low blood sugar) whereas if you are type 1 you would be low on insulin. I have heard of RH preceding type 2 though so it will be important to have your digagnosis confirmed through GAD (antibodies) and C Peptide tests e.g. are you destroying your own beta cells and are you still making insulin?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook