Anyone Heard Of One Drop’s Chrome Monitor

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just came across this by reading about Apple’s Health app. It appears to be a app-based diabetes management solution. Their store has this offer:

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

They also offer for-a-fee support

IMG_4331.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

John

Attachments

• IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_4330.jpg
    IMG_4330.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 468

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No not really, I am not familiar with it. Personally, I develop a trust relationship with my meter, I can feel it when the meter is lying to me so I tend to stick to my classic Accu Chek Performa. I prefer meters from well known manufacturers so no chance I am trying that meter.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@alphabeta, I totally agree. I’ve been using Ascensia’s Contour Next ONE meter since I was diagnosed T2 last January. Very happy with it, but if you’re testing 6+ times a day then that adds up. And £44.95/month for unlimited supply of test strips — well, that’s kind of enticing. About half of what I fork out. Still, unless I get some definitive positive feedback, I’ll stick with what I have.

Reactions: porl69

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alphabeta, I totally agree. I’ve been using Ascensia’s Contour Next ONE meter since I was diagnosed T2 last January. Very happy with it, but if you’re testing 6+ times a day then that adds up. And £44.95/month for unlimited supply of test strips — well, that’s kind of enticing. About half of what I fork out. Still, unless I get some definitive positive feedback, I’ll stick with what I have.
I am self funding and I test around 8 to 12 times a day depending on how my sugar flies. It is not cheap but a Libre would be a better bet

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@alphabeta - I assume you aren't in the UK? If you are you shouldn't be self funding strips.
I think he is from the Lebanon :)

I use the Aviva Accucheck Expert. Bolas calculator on it is the nuts :). As @alphabeta has said I would only use a meter from a "known" manufacturer

Reactions: alphabeta

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@2000s, are you sure about this? A couple of weeks ago I attended one of these NHS-organised daylong diabetes education workshops. The guy leading the workshop explained that as a general rule they don’t prescribe strips to T2s who’re not on medication (my case). I replied that that is very short sighted and in response to a challenge of his as to why I needed to self test I said that self testing enabled me to make all sorts of informed decisions and therefore better manage my condition. I concluded by politely pointing out that the real reason for not giving out prescriptions for individuals such as me was simply the desire to economise and that, long term, this was simply falling into the trap of being penny wise but pound foolish. He then actually agreed with me.

At any rate, from what he said, it would appear that I don’t qualify for a test strips prescription.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@2000s, are you sure about this? A couple of weeks ago I attended one of these NHS-organised daylong diabetes education workshops. The guy leading the workshop explained that as a general rule they don’t prescribe strips to T2s who’re not on medication (my case). I replied that that is very short sighted and in response to a challenge of his as to why I needed to self test I said that self testing enabled me to make all sorts of informed decisions and therefore better manage my condition. I concluded by politely pointing out that the real reason for not giving out prescriptions for individuals such as me was simply the desire to economise and that, long term, this was simply falling into the trap of being penny wise but pound foolish. He then actually agreed with me.

At any rate, from what he said, it would appear that I don’t qualify for a test strips prescription.
Generally only Type 1, or Type 2 on drugs that might cause hypos, are prescribed strips on the NHS.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Of course, you also need an Apple phone or similar device - unless the £44.95 includes a phone?

Reactions: XxTinkerxx
D

Deleted member 308541

Very happy with it, but if you’re testing 6+ times a day then that adds up. And £44.95/month for unlimited supply of test strips — well, that’s kind of enticing.
I test six time a day, so go through one hundred strips every four weeks at a NDSS price of $2.60.

My meter was free from Abbot, so this One Drop is a bit of a rip off at the price they charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unfortunately @Tipetoo, over here in the UK we don’t have anything likethe NDSS. BTW, would I be correct in assuming that you’re either T1, or T2 on insulin?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test six time a day, so go through one hundred strips every four weeks at a NDSS price of $2.60.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you test 6 times a day? Do you continually try new meals? After 3 years I probably test about 4 times in a week on average, just for reassurance.

MabsM

I read about the One Drop glucometer with interest.
Has anyone tried it and have any opinions to share about it?
Is it fully compatible with the new iPhones?
Thank You

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
I’ve got one. Signed up to the subscription and being type 2 I did argue with my diabetic nurse why NICE recommend that type 2’s should have them to make an informed choice / education etc etc etc. Then it got me thinking. I’m not testing every single day
The NHS is under a heck of a strain and if it’s true to form the suppliers are charging an extortionate price for the strips so I decided to buy my own. The same for basic paracetamol 40p against the pharmacy’s charging a premium for a prescription for the same thing.
It’s the cost of a night out for 50 test strips £20 odd quid (I’m a cheap date)
I told my surgery to take my meter back and remove the strips from my repeat prescription

If my situation and condition changes I can up the subscription to unlimited strips but fingers crossed it won’t be for a while

As for the one drop it’s a convenient meter that a few people have assumed is a vape kit lol
The phone app is good and reminders for meds / testing and carb intake gives a good insight. I’ve only been using it a couple of weeks but I’m happy with it.
It comes with meter, Lance and your first subscription whichever you chose. Mine also came with an extra 100 strips so it’ll give me a buffer if I test twice a day on a monthly 50 strips sub while I wait for the next tub. Although they are American they have a uk store / distribution place in London. Their response time is pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: kiraharris

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve got one. Signed up to the subscription and being type 2 I did argue with my diabetic nurse why NICE recommend that type 2’s should have them to make an informed choice / education etc etc etc. Then it got me thinking. I’m not testing every single day
The NHS is under a heck of a strain and if it’s true to form the suppliers are charging an extortionate price for the strips so I decided to buy my own. The same for basic paracetamol 40p against the pharmacy’s charging a premium for a prescription for the same thing.
It’s the cost of a night out for 50 test strips £20 odd quid (I’m a cheap date)
I told my surgery to take my meter back and remove the strips from my repeat prescription

If my situation and condition changes I can up the subscription to unlimited strips but fingers crossed it won’t be for a while

As for the one drop it’s a convenient meter that a few people have assumed is a vape kit lol
The phone app is good and reminders for meds / testing and carb intake gives a good insight. I’ve only been using it a couple of weeks but I’m happy with it.
It comes with meter, Lance and your first subscription whichever you chose. Mine also came with an extra 100 strips so it’ll give me a buffer if I test twice a day on a monthly 50 strips sub while I wait for the next tub. Although they are American they have a uk store / distribution place in London. Their response time is pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Hi, are you still using the one drop chrome meter? Have you found it to be reliable over time?