Anyone in the area of Sudbury Suffolk

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi folks, on Thursday afternoon this week there will be the second meeting for T2 diabetic support group at Sudbury Library. The topic to initiate discussion will be exercise and T2. It is free and open to anyone, tea and coffee available with a sample of cheese but please leave a donation to cover the cost. The library is in the old Corn Exchange on the market place but there is free parking 5 minutes walk away. No medical advice given beyond to consult a GP but support and, like on here, anecdotal suggestions of what individuals have found useful. Looking forward to meeting some of my virtual friends there.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
good luck
on your meeting .
remember when the clinic used to be in st lenards hospital and a lady used to run a small club from the clinic raise money do teas ect and just have a few pamphlets
way back in 1970 s
vic hill

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks @vic hill so many people claim that they feel unsupported and then there is the recent stigma from the media suggesting that all T2 diabetics bring it on themselves by being over weight. It was interesting that the books I had ordered in for the first meeting disappeared from the display but only one person had the courage to join me at the meeting itself. Neither of us had horns or were overweight. I hoped that by letting people on here know that some might come along to swell the numbers, otherwise I will have to stop. :(

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
phoenix 55
i hope you go on and you increase the numbers can you put up an a4 poster hand written just state the facts in clinic or docs surgeries find out if any company s have a diabetic man /or women involved if not find a pub like the waggon and horses meet outside or a tea rooms or snack bar and if that fails phone this no OI376 501 390 ASK for LAWRENCE mention my name vic hill bse he will send you some posters or other free stuff to help .
get him to phone you so that way it will not cost you so much .
but if you do not wish to go that route keep just gain one or two new people one piece of advice just listen you can learn a lot i volunteered for the british diabetic branch in bse for 25 years all sorts job s to
help kids to
when do you next meet .
vic type one insulin for a hell of while...... 1957,,,

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for the advice about the siting of posters, I had already canvassed the local GPs to see if they had a group set up already. I work at the library so the room is 'free' but it will need a bit more pushing both in and outside the library. Thanks for the contact, I will follow it up, and the advice about listening. We meet on the first Thursday of the month so the next meeting is in August, gives me some time to drum up some more support.
If you have been type 1 on insulin since 1957 you must have been one of the pioneers. An ex-nurse in a London hospital told me that the treatment for diabetes was only just starting in 1954 when she left (before I was born, honestly) You deserve a medal for keeping on keeping on. :) Thank you.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
phoenix55
aug 1957 admitted to the huts west suffolk hospital.to be honest all injections were given by nurses until jan 1958
then up to palinswick house king street hammersmith diabetics home 40 kids having missed school for 6 months
as i used to go to sudbury second modern school
think insulin was 20 40 80 i had 80 green label ? steel needles and glass syringe no bloods test then pee5 drops then in glass mixed with a tablet blue good orrange bad
but still going on a pump and costly free style libre when i can
keep well
ps i have great friend who was nurse at i think guys i 1959 took me and her brother up on the m1 when first opened like driving on runway brilliant now with traffice like you have in sudbury and bad fumes in balling don were is it going
electric car are the future but at what cost
vic

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Uhhhh , i so wish i could attend, or i wish we could have similar meetings in South Africa

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @fikileM57 Why not start your own group? Find somewhere cheap to meet, offer tea/coffee, then advertise to let people know. If I can do it I am sure you can. What have got to lose? If I remember rightly South African towns have some lovely parks and plenty of places to meet outdoors not like England where we always have to have a wet weather plan!

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wooow, good idea Phoenix55, im organising something..thank u again for the idea