anyone on januvia or sitagliptin

bbsue

just wondered if anyone as been on this drug and what are the side affects like? i have just taken myself off byette and would like some info on this drug before i go back to the docs i have spent 4 months of hell on byette i kept hoping it would get better i was sick every day for three weeks lost 20 lbs in ten days tried anti sickness drugs but still felt increadbly sick couldnt eat a decent meal salad made me sick dairy products made me sick .Dont get me wrong i am not knocking byette i still think its a great drug but my body just would not take it maybe its the other medication i am on as well so if anyone can help me about this new drug i would be most gratful thanks sue

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sue, Sorry to hear Byetta wasn't right for you. You previously mentioned the problems you were having and I did ask which dose you had been started on but you didn't reply. If you don't mind, I would still be interested to know because symptoms as extreme as yours are nearly always the result of being started on the 10mcg dose instead of 5mcg. The manufacturers say that no patient should ever be started on the higher dose as the body needs to become acclimatised to the protein. Even at the lower dose there is some nausea initially, but this normally wears off quickly.

martinbuchan

Sitagliptin seems to be an easier drug to take, has all the same benefits but has far less weight loss than byetta. Good luck. Quite fancy it myself soonish.

Marty B

bbsue

Hi dennis sorry didnt reply before but was hoping to report things were going well on Byetta This is how the last few month on treatment went .Was started on the lowest dose of 5 units twice a day as soon as i started to eat i found my self full on very small portions within the hour i was violently sick this lasted for 3 weeks in desperation i went back to docs who put me on anti sickness tabs but this was only partialy sucessful so i decieded to put my self on just one 5 unit injection at lunch time still felt sick but managed to keep food down but was limited to the food i could eat and blood sugars slowly rising so tried 5 unit twice a day again maaged to keep food down most of the time but felt increadbly sick especialy after the one at breakfast very limited to what i could eat the initial weght loss was very good if a bit server but then stopped tried every thing people had told me to do such as eating as soon as injection ect. then started being sick after every meal again last weekend and decided i had enough didnt realise how bad it was until i came off it decided i didnt want to spent the rest of my life with my head down a toilet HA HA . i had chemotherapy 5 years ago and it wasnt as bad as that !! so will see my doc next week and tell him my decision and ask about this new drug will let you know how things go at the moment still on the avandemet so sugars are ok But as i said before dont want to put other people off as i belive this is a fantastic drug if you can tolarate it Sue

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Sue, It sounds like you were one of the minority of people who just can't tolerate byetta at all. To have that sort of reaction on a 5mcg dose is not unknown but pretty rare. I hope your GP is sympathetic enough to switch you to Januvia. As well as straight Januvia there is also a version of sitagliptin mixed with metformin (similar to the Avandamet being a mix of rosiglitazone and metformin). The mixed version is called Janumet.

bbsue

Hi Dennis just a quick update seen doctor today he as taken me of avandimet and put me on pioglitazone and instead of the byetta he as put me on sitagliptin so hope this works i will give you an update in a months time thanks sue

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Sue, Just keep a close watch on the weight. All the glitazone family of drugs are notorious for fluid retention and weight gain.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with them.

Jennie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I've been on sitagliptin for a month now. Don't think i've lost or gained weight, but I have noticed that I have more energy & I am no longer wanting to drink (not alcohol) all the time. Lovely not to have to get up in the night for a pee.
I have had a bit of stomache ache, but can't be ure if it's the tablets or the bug that's been going around.
going back to have blood tests on friday to see if taking them have made any difference

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bbsue</i>
<br />Hi dennis sorry didnt reply before but was hoping to report things were going well on Byetta This is how the last few month on treatment went .Was started on the lowest dose of 5 units twice a day as soon as i started to eat i found my self full on very small portions within the hour i was violently sick this lasted for 3 weeks in desperation i went back to docs who put me on anti sickness tabs but this was only partialy sucessful so i decieded to put my self on just one 5 unit injection at lunch time still felt sick but managed to keep food down but was limited to the food i could eat and blood sugars slowly rising so tried 5 unit twice a day again maaged to keep food down most of the time but felt increadbly sick especialy after the one at breakfast very limited to what i could eat the initial weght loss was very good if a bit server but then stopped tried every thing people had told me to do such as eating as soon as injection ect. then started being sick after every meal again last weekend and decided i had enough didnt realise how bad it was until i came off it decided i didnt want to spent the rest of my life with my head down a toilet HA HA . i had chemotherapy 5 years ago and it wasnt as bad as that !! so will see my doc next week and tell him my decision and ask about this new drug will let you know how things go at the moment still on the avandemet so sugars are ok But as i said before dont want to put other people off as i belive this is a fantastic drug if you can tolarate it Sue
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">