Anyone people out there that will actually understand me?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for my first post being a bit of a moan, but there's nothing worse than someone talking to you about diabetes and thinking they know everything about it, people are so judgmental now a days. Like I get told I don't have diabetes because I'm not fat. Why do people jump to conclusions.. Please is there someone out there that will actually talk sense with me..

Oh hi by the way. Haha.

Reactions: 5 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. I used to get the "too skinny to have diabetes" comments when I was first diagnosed - not any more though as I've gained a few pounds now that insulin injections are enabling my body to absorb the sugar I eat. I also get quite a few comments stating that I'm too old to 'catch' Type 1 diabetes - LOL.

lizzie29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm Maya,
I was diagnosed two weeks before my 4th birthday. I've had it for over 10 years now and the comments are still annoying.
The amount of people who have told me that I couldn't have sugar because I'm diabetic is ridiculous. I've also had the 'but you're not fat' thing. Haha it's very irritating.

Reactions: 4 people

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some one said to me the other day when I told him I was diabetic... 'You do know that diabetes is reversible.'

How I didn't punch him in the face is beyond me. Haha.... The sad thing is he was generally trying to help me. Some people are absolutely clueless! X

Reactions: 10 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a great thread about the daft things that people have said to us. I've had a couple of this sort of nonsensical comments from husband and diabetic doctor, but if anyone else came up with such a stupid remark, I think I would challenge them - e.g. 'Oh are you a diabetic doctor then? Perhaps you can advise me on...' or 'Can you explain further as I never knew that/never heard that before/my own doctor told me differently...', etc.

I'm learning to be very evil in my old age...:D:D

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for my first post being a bit of a moan, but there's nothing worse than someone talking to you about diabetes and thinking they know everything about it, people are so judgmental now a days. Like I get told I don't have diabetes because I'm not fat. Why do people jump to conclusions.. Please is there someone out there that will actually talk sense with me..

Oh hi by the way. Haha.
Welcome to the forum! You're not alone :) we're all going through this, take a look at the thread linked above. Stupid comments from people happen every day :( but we have this forum where we can laugh about them! :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Someone once said to me that Aloe Vera Juice would help my diabetes....a Forever Living salesperson - arrrrrrgghhhhhh.

I've had all sorts, from you can't drink Champagne to you can't eat that (to be honest I don't drink champagne but as it was a toast it felt rude not to hold a glass, and I don't bother eating anything with sugar anymore as I can't cope with the effects on my BG, but this is purely a personal choice).

Just remember that you know more than anyone else about 'your' condition and if you can just smile, nod and ignore (this is my strategy as I don't even bother responding anymore !!)

Good luck ;)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone once said to me that Aloe Vera Juice would help my diabetes....a Forever Living salesperson - arrrrrrgghhhhhh.

I've had all sorts, from you can't drink Champagne to you can't eat that (to be honest I don't drink champagne but as it was a toast it felt rude not to hold a glass, and I don't bother eating anything with sugar anymore as I can't cope with the effects on my BG, but this is purely a personal choice).

Just remember that you know more than anyone else about 'your' condition and if you can just smile, nod and ignore (this is my strategy as I don't even bother responding anymore !!)

Good luck ;)
I like the "smile and nod" approach :D some people actually understand the hint and apologize! But only some...

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem is that diabetes is misunderstood, not just by the General public, but by a lot of diabetics too. I was diagnosed type 1 in 1990, so I thought I was an expert. This time last year, I realised how wrong I was when I started reading up on it, in order to improve my control. I had no idea about the dawn phenomenon, insulin resistance, the relationship between glucagon and insulin etc.

The other problem is the general state of diabetic control in the world. I believe that diabetics with good control are unfortunately in the minority. Because it's such an insidious condition, it's easy to ignore high blood sugars because they will usually not cause immediate problems (ketoacidosis being the exception). If someone's poorly controlled (and I'm speaking from the experience of how I used to be), they live in denial, and will put forward the myths when quizzed by someone about their condition. 'Oh I just eat what I want, it's fine as long as I take my insulin.' This makes people think that insulin is a magic fix, like taking an aspirin . They will rarely know about matching insulin to food, the dangers of both too high and too low blood sugars, and the multitude of complications that can arise.

Therefore, I talk the ears off of anyone who wants to know about my diabetes. The wierd thing is, I can often grab the attention of the entire room. I start talking about the plot of the latest video game I played, people glaze over. I talk about my diabetes, everyone is fascinated. I was at a wedding the other week, and I was discussing why I was avoiding some things at the buffet. I thought I was just talking to my close friends, but then I noticed the conversation around us had died down. A group of girls next to us were all staring over and straining to hear. We were chatting to them later, and they asked what I did. When I said I was a piano teacher, one of them said 'Really?! I assumed you were a doctor!'

The rule of thumb seems to be that people are willing to listen, as long as you are willing to talk. When someone says something that sounds ridiculous ('Do you have too much sugar or too little?'), see it as an opportunity to help them understand, rather than a reason to Facepalm :).

Reactions: 10 people

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The one thing that sticks in my head is when an American teacher at my school had brought back loads of Twinkies for the class. He handed them out to every single person and finally got to me and said " I won't give you one because it'd probably send you into a diabetic coma" with a smirk.
Turns out Twinkies are **** anyway.

simon hand

I fully understand and to be honest no one cares if they don't have it.
I was out with some friends and I td someone I was diabetic and they said you obviously don't have the fat version so you must have the other one

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This makes people think that insulin is a magic fix, like taking an aspirin . They will rarely know about matching insulin to food, the dangers of both too high and too low blood sugars, and the multitude of complications that can arise.

I think thats the key @Charles Robin , matching insulin to food and realising what you can and cannot handle. I've never felt the need to exclude things but I try my best to match my insulin with what I eat. If there is something I can't handle I'll avoid it. I have a good balanced diet that is not too far away from what it was before diagnosis.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Robert,

Who are these people that your talking to?

Your in the right place if you want to get stuck in to sensible diabetes chat that's for sure......

Fortunately for me the people around me genuinely don't know much about Diabetes so never attempted to tell me anything.......

My family and friends are aware and a handful of work colleagues but it genuinely doesn't come up in conversation unless I bring it up and when that happens, its me telling them the facts......

in time you will feel the same....