aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Hey again everyone, I'm type 1 and was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago. Since then its been a big uphill battle with my diabetes.

I have lost all form of a quality life and suffering from depression although that's starting to get better.
I have trouble sleeping and my eating is really bad, relying on chocolate a lot.

I was just wondering if anyone here plays golf and can advise me on what to do before a round and after a round.
Should I be lowering my lantus at night time when I'm playing the next day?

I hope there are fellow golfers on here :)

Aaron.

Jimmyboybuts

All I do is test blood before and after and carry lucozade or sonething sugary in my bag while I'm out there. Take your test kit in case you feel iffy but I wouldn't worry too much. I tend to have a little snack half way like a biscuit or two to keep you going. Everyone's different of course so it's trial and error what works for you. Test test test... have snacks... make playing partners aware of your condition... most of all just relax and enjoy it. Diabetes is just about being sensible mainly just don't let it get you down or make you feel it's running your life. Be in control my Jediabetic brother!! :smile:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Thanks for that Jimmy.

I find I go low pretty quick on the golf course.

So I usually eat often while playing.

Jimmyboybuts

Maybe there's an underlying issue with your carb/insulin ratios in that case then, which if as you say you are struggling with, might be the case. Either way don't get disheartened mate. It took me 16 years to get mine well and truly under wraps. As I say; everyone is different. And tbh the most crucial thing is maintaining your hypo awareness. If you are still at the point you feel and know you're going low then definitely take comfort in that and just ensure you always have sugary stuff around to resolve the lows. It'll work out in the end with persistence, I promise. It's a ****** but you get there eventually! Lucozade in your bag is a necessity though. I'm going for 9 holes after work tomorrow so will report back anything of interest :-D

davelofty77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who moan about their life/heath and don't help themselves!
I was diagnosed back in November last year and it's been a fast learning curve for me as I want to get back to normality asap. I was very active before being diagnosed (out of the blue) climbing mountains, cycling and golf to name but a few sports I did regularly. I find with golf I make sure I have a carby breakfast before setting out and check my BG constantly (like Jimmy mentions above). I then carry plenty of water, sports drink and also gels that typically cyclists use. In the past I used the have a real low half way round and my golf scores would show that. Now though, keeping a check and maintaining my BG levels, it has made a huge difference. Good luck with finding a solution.

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Aaron I play a lot of golf so maybe I could help you a bit. I was diagnosed April 2012. Despite what some people say golf definitely affects your diabetes treatment/management, is not just a stroll around!! I've found I lower my nova rapid with my meal before my round!! I also have a snack on the 6th holes and then again on the 14th while testing around 4 times during the round. Drink plenty of water during the round too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: angehud1977

simonfholt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I'm a pump used so before golf I eat a standard 50gm carb meal. With that I have 50% of the recommended Bolus dose. I also cut my basal dose to 25% of my normal dose for the round of golf. I normally only test once during my round. I also carry jelly babies lest I get low and of course my playing partners like them as well.

Pre pump golf was very difficult to keep any control at all as I had a standard basal dose at nighttime. Good luck. Si

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all . I'm pretty disorganised. Lucky if I really eat much before an early round . Say cereal , even chocolate etc . I take 50% the insulin . Test at mid point . 9th hole. it's usually around 6 . Again I'll eat almonds, fruit, anything I've got . Even a mars bar and again just take 50% insulin . Generally may sound abit mad but I play at my best around 4-5 . Find I can focus more. I think the big tip is too drink plenty of water . Usually the more dehydrated you are the higher my blood glucose readings .
Going way of the subject . I can tell if my bloods are high / low from my pee. Ha.
Ps I've only been type 1 for about 8 months .