Anyone put their Diabetes into remission?

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone who has put their diabetes into remission with the newcastle diet or any other diet i'd really love to hear your story.

I'm halfway through the diet myself and have lost 2 stone and BS is usually now about 4.4 but i am still taking my 1000g metformin so don't know if its down to that, my food intake or if it actually working but i'd love to hear from people who have done it with success, been to the doc after and had them say it actually worked.

Anyone?

Thanks

Andrew26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Raspin,

I'm also doing the Newcastle diet and have reached week 5 today. I'm still taking 2 x 500mg Metformin everyday. I was going to stop taking it, but I'm finding it the most wonderful appetite suppressant, and it's really helping me stick to the diet, so I'm a bit reluctant to stop taking it at the moment, as I'm enjoying the significant weight loss!

I found my BS followed what the study predicts, after 1-2 weeks my fasting levels had come right down. My understanding is that it takes the full 8 weeks to then maximise the improvements to the insulin response, and that the glucose tolerance test is a way of indicating that. About 10 days ago I did a home-made GTT. I just bought a box of glucose powder and used 75g in water as the drink, as that seems to be a common recipe from looking on the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_tolerance_test

I think it's around 300Kcal for the drink, so I also kipped my normal shake for the morning to compensate a bit. I measured fasting BS at the beginning of the day, drank the glucose drink, and then took hourly readings for 3 hours to see how the BS spike looked. From various sources I think the fasting level should be less that 6.1, the +1hr should be less than 11.1, and the +2hr should be less than 7.8.

I seemed to be well within normal levels from what I could see, but it might be the Metformin helping? I'm not really exactly sure what impact that makes on this test. I was so encouraged to see progress made so far though, and it has spurred me on to complete the 8 weeks and gain maximum benefit. I will probably do another test this weekend and compare results 2 weeks on.

After the end of the 8 weeks I'll stop taking Metformin and see what effect that has. I also want to get my doctor to repeat the tests in order to confirm my own measurements. If the fasting BS, the GTT and the HbA1c all come back as normal, given they were the measurements used to diagnose me in the first place, then I'll have more confidence that it has been "reversed", or is "in remission". Don't really care what people want to call it, so long as it has the desired effect.

The funny thing is I have my DESMOND course next week (8 weeks after initial diagnosis). It'll be interesting to see if I actually learn anything I haven't already found out through sites such as this! Also be interesting to see if they mention the Newcastle study.

Andrew

A

AnnieC

Is it safe to do a GTT at home. When my docotor said I would need one I asked if it was done at the surgery and my doctor said no it had to be done at the hospital as you need to be observed in case of any adverse side effects It gives the body a big overdose of glucose and that can cause sickness or fainting in some people. At our hospital for the two hours between blood tests they like to keep an eye on you and don't want you walking around

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
They don't want you walking around as that will use up the glucose and skew the results.

I've also done a home GTT with no ill effects. I used Lucozade, which tastes foul.

But as always what works for me may not work for someone else and I can accept no responsibility if someone else explodes as the result of copying me ;)

Cara

Reactions: 5 people

Andrew26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to admit, that's not something I'd considered. My surgery never mentioned any risks. My assumption was that they didn't want you being active as your body would then start to use the glucose and skew the results.

I guess if you've done the test before and been fine then you're probably ok. If you were worried, you could just make sure someone else was around in case of problems. I just sat and watched TV for a few hours. At the end of the day, if a sugar spike is dangerous then we should all be careful drinking any energy drink, or non-diet drink. Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with though.

Reactions: 3 people

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andrew,

That's really interesting. I'd not seen about home testing glucose tolerance but i'm tempted to give it a go and see what the results are. I'm also on 1000g Metformin just once a day (slow release). I think the Metformin reduces the amount of insulin the liver reduces, it think, so maybe it has some effect on it but low is still low.

I've been getting 4.4 regularly which i'm happy with but I noticed last night i only had 8 x 500g Metformin, enough for 4 more days. For some reason the diabetic nurse made my appointment for 2 months but only gave me enough Metformin for 1month. I'm going to get a repeat prescription but it made me think, well thats 8 days of 500g, what if? So thats what i'm going to do. Half the Metformin for a week and see what happens to my BS. Hopefully not much changes.

For £5.99 i've ordered a drink from amazon that is designed to be used specifically as part of a glucose tolerance test so at some point, on a weekend. i'm going to do that and see what happens.

It sounds like you are doing great, i'd love to hear how you get on , and how your BS is effected, when you knock the Metformin on the head and, also, how you get on at the doctors.

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don't want you walking around as that will use up the glucose and skew the results.

I've also done a home GTT with no ill effects. I used Lucozade, which tastes foul.

But as always what works for me may not work for someone else and I can accept no responsibility if someone else explodes as the result of copying me ;)

Cara

Haha Nice disclaimer. May contain traces of explosions!

Reactions: 2 people

yanto888

Anyone who has put their diabetes into remission with the newcastle diet or any other diet i'd really love to hear your story.

I'm halfway through the diet myself and have lost 2 stone and BS is usually now about 4.4 but i am still taking my 1000g metformin so don't know if its down to that, my food intake or if it actually working but i'd love to hear from people who have done it with success, been to the doc after and had them say it actually worked.

Anyone?

Thanks
Just started last week on 600 calories a day, no medication , used to be on metformin and carbimizole, blood sugars down from 12 to 7.0 after first week, looking good

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many type 2s will respond well to a substantial weight loss almost irrespective of how the weight loss is achieved. The key points appear to be:

1. Very careful with carbs to avoid further damage and also very useful for weight loss

2. Weight loss helps unblock some inactive beta cells, some are dead but others will respond to a reduction in pacreatic and liver fat deposits

3. Improved sensitivity to insulin though daily exercise. The exercise also helps with the required weight loss.

4. Gradually, you can re-introduce some types of carb. This depends on how much damage there is and that is one thing you never know. I can eat a full rhubarb crumble and custard now with no bad effects on glucose readings. Something is obviously working. But, 9 days out of 10 I stick to smaller amounts of complex carbs, brown rice, pearl barley, wholewheat pasta, rye bread etc.

Two slices of Dr Kargs with thinly sliced cheese and pickled chillis is much better for you than ginger sponge and custard even if you can eat it without your BGs hitting the roof. Better to learn healthy new habits than return to bad old ones. Just 'cos you can, doesn't mean you should.

Use the time you spend losing weight to learn new healthier eating patterns.

dr_karg.jpg

Spicy fish stew is quick and simple to make, very tasty and very satisfying.

fish-stew-ck-1673135-l.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I only had a gtt done when I was pregnant to diagnose gestational diabetes but the hospital actually gave me lucazade itself lol so I don't think there's any need for fancy drinks :greedy:

They let me go home between the blood tests as I live quite close (15mins away) ,just told me to sit and rest for the time, drinking the stuff tho was ick! Could never tolerate the stuff when my mum used to force it on me when I was ill :yuck:

@Yorksman - that bread looks scrummy!!! Will have to see if I can procure some after I finish Newcastle diet :)

@FergusCrawford 'metfartin' I love it, I'd have to swap the 'fart' for a different four letter word but it wouldn't be ladylike and this is a public forum :hilarious: