Anyone Type 1 and have an end ileostomy?

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I was diagnosed last year with type 1 diabetes and I have an end ileostomy (stoma).
I have had trouble with keeping consistent BG levels, and suffer from hypo unawareness.
I had been talking to my consultant and nurse about going onto a pump, but just had a call today, asking me to try not taking the basal insulin, and just bolus for meals! not to happy as on fasting tests my BG levels stay steady, but will do as they have asked.
I was wondering if there is anyone else here who is also Type 1 and has an end ileostomy, how have you got on, do you have erratic BG levels, other complications with BG due to your stoma ?

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I was diagnosed last year with type 1 diabetes and I have an end ileostomy (stoma).
I have had trouble with keeping consistent BG levels, and suffer from hypo unawareness.
I had been talking to my consultant and nurse about going onto a pump, but just had a call today, asking me to try not taking the basal insulin, and just bolus for meals! not to happy as on fasting tests my BG levels stay steady, but will do as they have asked.
I was wondering if there is anyone else here who is also Type 1 and has an end ileostomy, how have you got on, do you have erratic BG levels, other complications with BG due to your stoma ?

I am also a type 1 with severe diabetic gastropaeresis. I am on a mostly liquid diet now as I can't really digest anything . I had a temporary jtube but currently don't . I really don't understand why they would want to eliminate your basal ? My doctors are honestly up in arms with my blood sugars. They say there is not that much that can be done because of the unpredictability of my digestion. I can follow the same exact regimen from one day to the next and have completely different numbers. I am on the pump and it does help with my highs as that is my biggest issue with blood sugars . I do tend to spike real high and suddenly drop as well .