Anyone use a Caresens NPOP meter?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

These are the standard funded (free) meter in New Zealand.

I'm struggling to get consistent readings from mine.

I've been T1 for over 25 years and am making sure my hands are clean etc..
I've also returned my original meter in case it was just a dodgy meter, but the new one is doing it too....

I now take two readings (use two strips) for each finger prick of blood.

The readings can vary by as much as 2.0 mmol/l which makes it hard when trying to calculate dose adjustments.

My questions are:
(a) does anyone else here use this type of meter and have this problem?
and
(b) for people using other types of meter, does anyone else experience similar fluctuations in readings from the same blood sample?

Cheers.

:)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi, I use a Caresens meter too. Fortunately for me, slight inaccuracy is not a big issue as a T2 and I'm happy with the meter.

A better meter is available but only "for ketone testing purposes":
http://www.pharmac.govt.nz/Schedule?osq=Blood ketone diagnostic test meter&code=C0115043983

Accucheck and Optium Test strips are funded for eligible people on special authority - I think this is "grandparenting" from when these meters were subsidised and more easily available:
http://www.pharmac.govt.nz/Schedule?osq=Blood glucose diagnostic test strip&code=C0115073802

I'm not 100% sure about this, but would continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) help instead? I've no idea if it's available or funded here.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi CatLadyNZ,

You're right about the Accuchek/Optium. You can also get them if you're on a pump (which I'm not).

Re CGM: funded??? You must be joking! Apparently Pharmac decided to stop funding perfectly good Accuchek products in order to save $10m yet we are able to spend $26m to decide if we want a new flag!!! Don't get me started......

Sorry for the rant - thanks for the reply.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi CatLadyNZ,

You're right about the Accuchek/Optium. You can also get them if you're on a pump (which I'm not).

Re CGM: funded??? You must be joking! Apparently Pharmac decided to stop funding perfectly good Accuchek products in order to save $10m yet we are able to spend $26m to decide if we want a new flag!!! Don't get me started......

Sorry for the rant - thanks for the reply.

I totally agree with you about the flag. And yeah, my question about CGM was a long shot, I know.

Let's hope NZ stays out of the TPPA because if we join it, Pharmac's coverage is only going to get worse :(