Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi guys,

The reason I'm asking the above question is that I have dropped out of university as it wasn't for me. I've noticed Aldi are recruiting for assistant managers near me but I've heard some horror stories.

Could anyone tell me their experiances? Also I don't know how accomodating a german company would be of diabetes seeing as they love efficiency. Fixing a hypo isn't efficient and would probably be considered a waste of company time? lol

I've got some other backup plans but not many! lol

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't, but I have a friend who's been there just over a year and enjoys it. Been promoted a few times too so is now in a supervisory position

Reactions: 2 people

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
See, some people have told me that its good, but some of the stories you read from people online are quite scary lol. 70+ hour weeks etc

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nah definitely not. She does about 40, anything extra is optional! Depends on the store Id guess

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
See, some people have told me that its good, but some of the stories you read from people online are quite scary lol. 70+ hour weeks etc

Don't believe everything you read on-line.

Aldi have a good reputation as an employer, my wife's friend works for them and has done for several years, they don't seem to have a high volume of staff leaving which is always a good sign of job satisfaction.

Give it a go, if anything you'll gain some experience which you can use to go to another store if you don't like it.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was supposed to go for an interview last Thursday for a job as a stock assistant. But after reading the online stories, and the fact the guy on the phone told me a few times its not easy work, having to work fast and its pretty labor intensive I never showed up. Plus I heard that everything is timed, ie, you have to clear pallets in a set amount of minutes, then stock the shelves in another set of minutes, scan a set amount of items per hour on the tills...typical efficient Germans lolz :)

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I've applied anyway for the assistant manager position. See what happens.

I'm scared of leaving the security of my current work though as it's almost impossible to get sacked and I can't be told to leave because I'm not up to standard lol.

But I need a better job to fund my lifestyle. Because I enjoy my motorbikes I need something paying about 25k a year so that I can comfortably pay a mortgage and my bike and car. At the moment I live with my girlfriend and only pay half the bills and no mortgage. Will be different in the future.

Reactions: 3 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was supposed to go for an interview last Thursday for a job as a stock assistant. But after reading the online stories, and the fact the guy on the phone told me a few times its not easy work, having to work fast and its pretty labor intensive I never showed up. Plus I heard that everything is timed, ie, you have to clear pallets in a set amount of minutes, then stock the shelves in another set of minutes, scan a set amount of items per hour on the tills...typical efficient Germans lolz :)

Timing is true for any shop. For chilled and frozen items you have a set amount of time to get it off the pallets and into the fridge/freezer. If you go over that time then you are not supposed to sell those items. I worked in a co-op about 8 years ago!

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon finding out first hand is better than being jobless.. I was made redundant a few years ago and nearly went insane. Only downside to retail is the general public. Theyre stupid and most of the time wrong, not to mention VERY rude.
On the company itself I couldnt say.. but dont believe everything written online.. people tend to leave reviews when theyre pi**ed not when theyre happy.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just realised how old this post was.. Sorry!

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Naa no quite :p ... I never heard back from them when I applied.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Maybe I'm not efficient enough who knows.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly, many employers only contact people to call them for interview. There's often some wording on the lines of "if you haven't heard from us by xxxx, please assume your application has been unsuccessful" Howver, if you have any doubts about your internet provider / email / postal deliveries etc, then there's no harm in contacting company to check.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Only downside to retail is the general public. Theyre stupid and most of the time wrong, not to mention VERY rude.

So does that mean that when you go shopping your quote sums you up? ;):p:hilarious:

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a mate who was a store manager for them a few years ago, ridiculous hours, and in the dark ages in terms of how they treat their staff apparently. That was a few years ago though, when they were quite a bit smaller in the UK.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
bottom line ---- better to be in work than not -- i have been in full time work for 39 years but not the same employer

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
bottom line ---- better to be in work than not -- i have been in full time work for 39 years but not the same employer
Not Aldi tho !

My mate worked a Aldi & he couldn't get out quick enough. He never worked a full week due to Aldi loving the "Zero Hour " contract fiasco. He averaged 30 hours per week, when he was employed full time .