Type 1 Apart from Metformin

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Is there anything else I can try to reduce insulin resistance, currently only having between 50-60g of carbs a day and diet going well but still using a lot insulin. I take metformin but is there a drug i can use for insulin resistance?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you tried exercise, that's very good for insulin resistance? Some people also find a different insulin will solve the problem.
Just as a matter of interest do you have a high fat diet? I ask because many but not all type 1's find that the more fat they eat the higher the basal insulin needs. Obviously everyone is an individual.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Exercise is probably the best option. It doesn't have to be gruelling, a gentle walk will help to begin with.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Most definitely exercise, also losing weight (if needed) can help with insulin resistance.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, exercise. There are injectables to help the overweight with insulin resistance but best avoided if you can. As your diet progresses and weight reduces I would expect your insulin needs to gradually drop?

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Yup , overweight! Since diagnosis , for about 3/4 years after I didn't take care of myself , carried on with normal coke , mcdonalds everyday after work etc etc , didn't really think about piling the weight back on , however went from a 28 waist at diagnosis to a 38 now :( , I've cut all the **** like crisps etc from my diet and only touch wholemeal bread now , maybe 2 slices a day , then try more veg etc , just not losing the weight that quick and still taking a lot of insulin which isn't helping the weight issue :(. I have a dog and walk her from anything from 3/5 miles daily and keep it all tracked , maybe I could do more, I do all the housework , should think about purchasing a pushbike again I think :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you keep a food diary, or estimate your carb intake?

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
I carb count , only doing between 50-60g of carbs a day now , used to be about 200 lol