Apidra pen

tasha

Hi all,

Is there anyone else on Apidra insulin?

I started trying it a couple of months ago and am finding it fantastic! Many of my hypos are now gone thanks to the fact it is out of my system so much quicker than the novarapid.

The problem is, the pen they've given me only sets doses to the nearest 2 units! Obviously this is a problem for me as I count carbs. I've checked with my gp and the pharmacy and they don't know of a pen that will be better. Problem is this is the only disposable pen available.

I will be doing back the hosp in a couple of weeks, so I know I can ask them about a non-disposable pen. I was wondering if anyone uses this insulin and has at least a 1unit pen!

tasha

jopar

Hi tasha

I don't use Apidra insulin, but I've checked there web site and they supply the Apidra in vial, pre-filled pens, and in cartridges for pens..

It seems that you would need a pen called Opticlick pens for the cartridges and these have been introduced to into europe since 2007..

There website for the uk is sanofi-aventis

Hope this is of some help

iHs

Hello Tasha

Good News :D

As long as you get Apidra or Lantus in a 3ml cartridge, you can use them in a Lilly Humapen Luxura insulin pen. I use the HD version as I sometimes inject 1/2 units of Apidra (an old D consultant passed this info on to me). It works all ok. The only thing I need to do when loading a new cartridge in the pen is attach a new needle before screwing the cartridge holder together ( a very small amount of insulin will squirt out as you screw together). Other than that, the pen is then ready to prime as normal.

If you don't want to use the Lilly pen. Owen Mumford do an Autopen that will deliver in either 1 or 2 unit increments.

tasha

Thank you so much for the replies. All very helpful.

When I asked my diabetes nurse about the same problem I had with the Lantus pen she said "It's not a problem-2 units will not make any difference!' I tried to assure her that 2 units did indeed make a huge difference to me but she told me that a 1 unit pen was unavailable.

Now i have lots of info to go and bombard them with. This is the same diabetic nurse who refused to take me seriously (even though the doctor agreed with me and did me a prescription) that it was worth trying Levemir over lantus because I was having stability issues. She told me it was a waste of everyones time and lantus was better! I tried explaining that I had heard I was not the only person having trouble and issues with lantus and she got quite defensive and dismissive. I have since used Levemir over the past 3 months with huge success and hope my hba1c has dropped next week to prove it!

Now I can go and say 'I told you so on both accounts'

Thanks!!

iHs

Don't you just love these DSNs who swear blind that they are correct over everything Grrrrr lol

You need to tell your DSN to look in Balance magazine at all the available insulin pens. Of course the Luxura pen is meant just for Lilly cartridges but the Aventis and Lilly cartridges are more or less the same shape so will go in the Luxura pen.
http://www.humalog.com/humalog-insulin- ... in-pen.jsp

The Owen Mumford Autopen is also fairly good http://www.owenmumford.com/en/range/6/autopen.html

Good luck :)