Apixaban

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone posted on another section about Apixaban (blood thinner) raising blood sugars. I've been on this since late September. There is nothing in the leaflet and nothing I can find on the Internet about it doing this, but does anybody know whether it does or not, and if it does, could someone point me in the direction of the information? I didn't want to derail the other thread, so have started a new one.

I am wryly amused that Drs have put me on three different meds that raise blood sugar significantly as well as getting antsy about my T2 diagnosis. Fortunately I am no longer taking 2 of those meds, but I believe the Apixaban is important.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am taking Apixaban for a blood clot in my lung, I believe it’s an anticoagulant rather than blood thinner, it hasn’t seem to have affected my blood sugar numbers at all. That’s a very small study though :) best wishes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone posted on another section about Apixaban (blood thinner) raising blood sugars.
My cardiologist put me on Apixaban because my Atrial Fibrillation puts me at risk of fibrosis / blood clots. It is one of a whole group of New Oral Anti-Coagulants (NOACs) which are now justly considered superior to Warfarin. At first I was pleased that he preferred Apixaban, as when I read up on them it did sound the best. However later I read that it can raise bg, so I asked to be changed on to Dabigatran, which does the same thing but by a different mechanism and is said NOT to raise bg. I can't say if my reservations about Apixaban were justified, as I never actually took it.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I’m also on apixaban and didn’t know it could affect BG I have a blood disorder that causes my blood to clot and recently had clots in my leg and lungs. In the past I’ve been on heparin and warfarin but had been off them for years until the recent attack. I’m sure a previous medication caused my diabetes (quetiapine for bipolar) I was on it for years and it is well known for increasing your appetite and not once in ten years did they check my BG until I was quite seriously ill. It’s now on the leaflet that BG should be checked regularly. But even tho I’m now off that medication I think it’s damaged my pancreas so much that it can’t be reversed
I dont think doctors take enough notice of the side effects of medication before prescribing them