Appalling!!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I am at this moment to be labelled as curmudgeonly!! Fine! Really, have you seen the price of diabetic socks? what a rip off!! and just because they've got loose tops!!
Well here's a top tip that I didn't steal from Viz. Buy some cheap socks off the net, I got some for just over £1 and cut the tops off. Works a treat and saves loads and you get a choice of manic colours!!!:hilarious:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't use them myself (yet), but socks for diabetics usually have extra smooth seams around the toe areas to prevent rubbing and reduce the risk of blisters etc.

It's not all about the elastic top.

D

Deleted Account

I'd never heard of diabetic socks (do you have to treat them with insulin? :)) but can't help wondering if it is better to do a daily foot check than hope you have the right socks and shoes on?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Reactions: dbr10

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are a ****** if they go hypo.

Edited by a moderator.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well here's a top tip that I didn't steal from Viz.

The old tip of frying your slippers in bread crumbs & wearing them like Findus crispy pancakes..?! ;)

I remember diabetic socks. They only seemed to come in a surgical white, back in the day!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I looked at that page and saw that the products are accredited by Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.

I had a quick look to see how global they were, and found they are based in Southport, on Lord Street.

However I also found https://www.scpod.org/ and a list here http://www.hcpc-uk.co.uk/aboutregistration/professions/index.asp?id=3 so I'm not completely sure which is the leading body.

Sometimes they are strong regulators of a profession and other times you just sign up to have a logo on your door.

Reactions: urbanracer

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would wear diab socks if they came with in built glucose monitor and came in nice colours but other than that are they are not in the same category as diabetic chocolates? Somewhat unnecessary and over priced although probably taste better than the chocolates did....I also ignore advice to wear round toed footwear so am not a compliant patient...

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I don't use them myself (yet), but socks for diabetics usually have extra smooth seams around the toe areas to prevent rubbing and reduce the risk of blisters etc.

It's not all about the elastic top.
I'd just seen a pair and thought they were mandatory like LCHF but I wasn't going to pay that much. I didn't know it was about seams too. Thanks

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
You can sometimes get these or similar a little cheaper from Amazon.
Probably they are. I always wear socks but no I'm T1D sometimes they're a bit tight!!!. Manufacturers on the band wagon me thinks

Reactions: dbr10

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I looked at that page and saw that the products are accredited by Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.

I had a quick look to see how global they were, and found they are based in Southport, on Lord Street.

However I also found https://www.scpod.org/ and a list here http://www.hcpc-uk.co.uk/aboutregistration/professions/index.asp?id=3 so I'm not completely sure which is the leading body.

Sometimes they are strong regulators of a profession and other times you just sign up to have a logo on your door.
Well, whoever they're regulated by, I'm not buying any:)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably they are. I always wear socks but no I'm T1D sometimes they're a bit tight!!!. Manufacturers on the band wagon me thinks
Yes. Sometimes they are but my feet are a bit sensitive so I prefer a bit of extra padding.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Would wear diab socks if they came with in built glucose monitor and came in nice colours but other than that are they are not in the same category as diabetic chocolates? Somewhat unnecessary and over priced although probably taste better than the chocolates did....I also ignore advice to wear round toed footwear so am not a compliant patient...
Good I like rebelliousness:)