Apparently a certain parasitic worm can prevent type 1 diabetes in mice.

Frannon18

If only briefly just come across this but I thought that was crazy. Have We Become so clean that we causing stuff like diabetes or multiple sclerosis I don't know, just battling.

Thread title edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do you have a link?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a school of thought (which I agree with) that we are becoming too clean and that is leading to allergies and low resistance. Donkeys' years ago there used to be chicken pox parties - not sure if they are still around - which I would think would horrify some people now but the reasoning behind them is sound: expose children to bugs, dirt, gunge etc (within reason of course) and they build up immunity. However, like @Contralto, I've seen first-hand the effects of hookworm and the thought of being jabbed with a syringe full of the little blighters is somewhat gross. I would think it's very much a last resort?

D

Deleted member 308541

I am shocked that anyone would subject anyone to hookworms on purpose
The medical profession use leeches and maggots in certain circumstances still.
There's a school of thought (which I agree with) that we are becoming too clean and that is leading to allergies and low resistance. Donkeys' years ago there used to be chicken pox parties
Kids are to clean today as they do not play out in the dirt outside anymore, where you build up natural immunity to a lot of things. I remember as a kid mixing with other kids with chickenpox etc.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Frannon18 Not as medical advice or opinion:
The immune system is thought to have two main 'arms' or types of action which work in concert.
An imbalance in the action of these arms is thought to lead to auto-immune conditions such as T1D, coeliac disease and so on.
Some years back researchers of coeliac disease thought that by stimulating the underacting or 'lazy' arm of the human immune system that the overactive arm might be reduced in its troublesome effect.
Since a dose of tapeworm could trigger the 'lazy' arm beginning in the intestine, it was thought that this might dampen down the deleterious effects of antibodies produced by the over active arm in coeliac disease, which is mainly focussed in the intestine.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25248819. in 2014
The number of studies have been on low numbers of people and have shown that a percentage of persons with coeliac disease subjected to hookworm infection have not reacted to challenges with gluten, a protein found in wheat and other grains which usually would have triggered a response.
Important to know is at the end of the timed hookworm infection the patient are given anti-worm treatment and tested to ensure the infection has been eradicated.
How one might get from this to diabetes I am not sure. But the above is the only reference to hookworm infection for treating auto-immune disease that I know of.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kids are to clean today as they do not play out in the dirt outside anymore, where you build up natural immunity to a lot of things. I remember as a kid mixing with other kids with chickenpox etc.

Not sure about this. My youngest used to make AND eat mud pies, as well as woodlice which she lovingly referred to as "wiggly houses" whilst rubbing her tum! She developed type 1, 8 days before her 11th birthday.