1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by zazoopits, Feb 21, 2015.

1. zazoopits

zazoopits Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

im wondering if anyone has tried adding Apple cider vinegar to their regime to lower blood sugar? Also wondering if the capsules work as well as the regular vinegar (with the mother). Would like to keep the enamal on my teeth if possible!! Many thanks.

2. zazoopits

Maybe should explain that "the mother" is the natural ingredient in acv that's usually processed out to make the vinegar clear. It should be cloudy. Anyone?!

3. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've just started on a table spoon of rice vinegar a day.
    Will report back as to whether it proves to be the fountain of youth or not.

• Like Like x 2
  4. zazoopits

You n me both, I've heard great things about vinegar! Thanks jackethelad, hope it works!

5. JTL

I've read about this natural stringy mother but I've never come across it.

6. tonal

tonal Type 2 · Active Member

I started Apple cider vinegar and honey 2 weeks ago - nothing to report yet, but sounded like a good idea.

7. bookitty

bookitty · Newbie

I tried an apple cider vinegar, honey and some spices a couple of months ago - was told it would reduce my blood sugars - tried it for a few weeks. NO CHANGE. so stopped it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JTL

With honey it aint going to be bringing your sugars down no?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. mehhh2015

mehhh2015 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't really know if it actually makes any difference but since it tastes good I have it with my salads and vegs almost everyday but I follow a very low carb regime so I put my success with my BG's down to that mainly.

10. stuffedolive

stuffedolive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been taking ACV for years. Not to lower my BS though, but to stave off gout/arthritis. It works great for this.
    If I stop taking it then I am crippled with pain in my toe and thumb. When I get back on it I can function normally.
    Great stuff ACV - even better if its lowering my BS too

• Like Like x 2
  11. tonal

This is such good news!!!!! I have troubles with my big toe and particularly my right thumb and I have also had gout - I will double up on my ACV , do you take honey with it?

12. stuffedolive

stuffedolive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't take it with honey although I used to. I just take a tablespoon full with some warm water 1x to 2x a day. And lots of water too during the day!

13. harrycat

harrycat · Newbie

I've been diagnosed prediabetic any advice 're diet ??tia

14. tonal

Thanks stuffed I have started upping my dose already ! You are the first I've heard from with the same probs as me - this is marvellous news. I don't fancy acv by itself but I will try. Thanks again ;

15. Sharonrk

Sharonrk Type 2 · Newbie

I Just started taking the capsules, brought my fasting level down below 7.0 mmol the next day, this was after a week of it spiking aroung 10 mmol. So I'm encouraged by the result.

HbA1c = 4.2 mmol

• Like Like x 2
  16. zazoopits

Great, have sent off for the caps, am excited to try them. Thanks all.

17. Alisonjane10

Alisonjane10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello there
    I'm having similar problems with fasting blood sugar levels. I've just sent off for some apple cider vinegar capsules from Holland & Barrett after reading the links from here. Could you tell me when you're taking the capsules & how many. I believe the ones I've bought are 300mg caps. Also, do you take yours with food or just a drink of water. I need all the tips I can get, so your advice regarding your experience with these capsules will be so useful. Many thanks.
    Ali. X

18. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

This is excellent news. My fasting BG has been creeping up and up again. I used to take shots of ACV and even though I swallowed it as quickly as possible, it made my already sensitive teeth even worse, so stopped. I'll have to get some of the capsules.

BTW, if anyone is interested in other alternative treatments for increasing insulin sensitivity, this link rates them based on studies/efficacy:
    http://examine.com/topics/Insulin+Sensitivity/

19. Mirza39

Mirza39 Type 2 · Newbie

20. bobrobert

bobrobert Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Use a straw? I have read that the vinegar only works in combination with a carby meal and it doesn't work with a low carb meal. Therefore a low carb diet means there isn't any benefit.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook