1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Applying to University, anything I should make note of?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jimberlands, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Jimberlands

Jimberlands Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thinking of applying for university. Doing this through UCAS, it asks if you have any disabilities, to which of course I've currently put insulin-dependant type 1 diabetes. Is there anything else anyone might suggest I put in here? It's asked for details of 'special needs' under 500 characters, I don't want to miss out on anything throughout my degree.

Cheers :)

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I applied, only put I was a type 1 diabetic. Got treated exactly the same as everyone else, didn't miss out n anything. If needed you can go to the disability centers after to discuss your condition and you may be entitled to some benefits (extra time, laptop etc.). Although I never bothered, as didn't think I needed it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was at uni back in 2003 and didn't let anyone know about my diabetes.........didn't have any issues.....

although it is wise for them to know about it during exam time and for coursework deadlines......apart from that I cant think of anything more you would need to ask for or consider.....

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My friends daughter when living in halls was given a mini fridge for her room to store her insulin, may be worth looking at :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is travel an issue for you? If so you may wish to ask for halls on compass. If you don't feal safe on the tubes, advoid London universities.

Being allowed a fridge in your rooms has already been covered. (Often there are rules stopping students having their own fridges)

Otherwise I can't think of anything unless your course will have high risk placement. Labs are unlikely to be an issue at undergrad level.

Come exam time you can get breaks approved if you need them and/or extra time for BG test etc. Think about how you will cope in long exams without a smart phone to track BG. But issues with exams can be sorted out once you have started univ. It is of benfit to have any thing you were allowed for achool exams documented so as set the president.

You will need approval to take drink/food into the library but should be able to sort out with a letter from the university doctor. Don't assume there will be lockers near the library.

(I used to work a long time ago surporting disabled students.)

7. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't wait until exam time to get your exam arrangements sorted - that is too late. You need to sort it straight away. This sounds really silly, but along with rest breaks if needed, get permission to take your meter into the exam with you, as otherwise they may well try and argue that it is "an electronic device with data storage capacity" and ban it.

Honestly, at this stage there isn't much you can do other than flag it up, it's more once you get to the stage of actually accepting offers that the university will probably contact you directly.

The biggest thing is to be proactive, and fight for yourself. Unfortunately, universities seem to be very ignorant about diabetes, so don't take no for an answer if you need something - silly things like being allowed to have food with you in a lecture theatre.

Mostly, though, just make the most of it. 3 years goes by so quickly. One of the biggest things at a more personal level can be cooking for yourself and making sure you are eating properly, for the first time. Perhaps think about getting a few meals that you are comfortable cooking and confident with the carb values for.

Everything covered by the other posters too!

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jimberlands

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Bookmarked this thread for when I get the ball rolling!! :)

9. BeccyB

BeccyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You may need to arrange a lockable cupboard for your food in a shared kitchen just in case e.g. someone has 'borrowed' the last of your bread for a 2am snack and then you find you can't make your toast for breakfast after you've already bolused.

Same principle for hypo treatments, make sure you have something in your room that nobody is going to pinch when they've got the munchies! May be worth having some of the 'official' treatments like hypogel rather than relying on jelly babies etc as they are unlikely to be taken.

You would hope that the people you share with understand and don't take stuff but you never know

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jimberlands

That's a great idea, though I have no intention of attending a campus university at the moment. Great hint for people with roommates though o-o

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook