Are 50 units of Tresiba and/or insulin antibodies abnormal?

Hatfield

Hello all! I’m seeing my doctor in a few days, but there are a few things he’s told me are abnormal and I’m wondering just how abnormal/normal they might actually be.
24yo and BMI 22.8, so not overweight. Last A1C (3 months ago) was 13.6%, though doc says it should be several points lower now (more like 9%) based off my CGM.
The “abnormal” things:
1. I started developing insulin resistance years ago, and it’s gotten much worse (as shown by the high A1C) to the point where it’s starting to affect my triglycerides/cholesterol.
2. I take 50 units of Tresiba every day — my doc was absolutely floored by this. He said someone my age/weight shouldn’t require so much, and that I shouldn’t still be having so many hypers with a basal that high. Is 50 units of Tresiba really that high for someone my age/body type? Total insulin per day is 100+ units. I’ve heard of one person taking as much as 80 units of tresiba but they were T2, not T1, and didn’t take insulin other than that.
3. I’ve had somewhat low potassium for 5 years (if not longer) and my doc is concerned about it. It generally stays between 2.7-3.4 mEq/L.
4. My labs show that I’m making a very small amount of insulin antibodies (0.01 nmol/L) but my doc says that to make any at all is unusual and could be contributing to my insulin resistance. Lab reference range is 0.0-0.02 nmol/L, though.
5. Even though I’ve been T1 for 8 years, make insulin antibodies, and have terrible insulin resistance, I’m still producing a very small amount of C-peptides (0.3 ng/mL) which doc says is also unusual. He was expecting to see absolutely 0 and isn’t sure why/how I still make any at all.
6. One reason I struggle with staying in range is I’m both hypo/hyper unaware. I’ll be at 45mg/dL before I even start feeling low at all and have been 600mg/dL and higher without symptoms. I use a Dexcom CGM because manual finger sticks weren’t cutting it. My bg would look fine around mealtimes, but it was doing crazy things in between checks and I had no idea.

I know that’s all a bit of a mess, so I’m grateful if you’ve even just read this far. Does anyone else here still make C-peptides, produce insulin antibodies, have chronic hypokalemia, take a high dose of Tresiba, and/or have insulin resistance without knowing why? And for anyone who has insulin resistance and/or makes insulin antibodies, were you able to reduce either of those?

My doc really is great. He’s the first endocrinologist who didn’t immediately blame all of my complications on the assumption that I just don’t manage my diabetes at all, and instead gave me the benefit of the doubt and ordered labs to see if there was something else going on. I’m far from perfect at managing this, but I could never figure out why it seemed so much harder for me than for my friends/family with T1. I was starting to think it really was just me, but this doc makes me feel validated. My head is just swimming a bit because I’ve spent the last few years thinking I was managing it all wrong, and now I have some hope that I might be able to finally get this under control.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am wondering if one of the insulins you use isn't working for you and you are compensating with the other? Sometimes we react differently to different insulins. Fiasp was like water to me after a few times of use when I tried it and I know several people that have had that issue with it. I am wondering if you have tried other insulins to see if it has helped?

I am glad you have found an endo that is helpful. Just to add a few people have had to switch to the less commonly used older insulins to get one to work.

Reactions: Hatfield

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My doc really is great. He’s the first endocrinologist who didn’t immediately blame all of my complications on the assumption that I just don’t manage my diabetes at all, and instead gave me the benefit of the doubt and ordered labs to see if there was something else going on.
Sounds like he's a keeper! I'm sorry you had to suffer other endo's who reacted differently.

Of the things you mention I only fit the high dose of Tresiba, 108 units currently. But I'm 44 with a 35-ish BMI so not the same at all. I've asked my endo if this is something to be concerned about, and she's perfectly fine with it. To her thinking, it takes what is needed, the dose keeping your BG's as healthy as possible is the right dose. Works well for me :)

Good luck, I hope that with the help of your current endo and your CGM you'll be able to improve things even more!

ROE100

I am not saying this to say look at my low insulin units; levels aren't I great & often a bit over the place so just trying to stress we are all different

30+ years diabectic, on the overweight side of things but I only take 10 units of Tresiba. As pointed out in the another thread of mine this may be too much (as drop in he late afternoon) but I know if I tweak it down to 9 units I am going to be high most of the night. So sometimes being on a higher dose means you can make changes easier.

Sorry not really helped but just saying we shouldn't compare ourselves and this goes to HCP as well ans sometimes you just don't fit the guidelines/norm.

Hatfield

I am wondering if one of the insulins you use isn't working for you and you are compensating with the other? Sometimes we react differently to different insulins. Fiasp was like water to me after a few times of use when I tried it and I know several people that have had that issue with it. I am wondering if you have tried other insulins to see if it has helped?

I am glad you have found an endo that is helpful. Just to add a few people have had to switch to the less commonly used older insulins to get one to work.

I actually switched to it fairly recently after years on Lantus, and have seen a huge improvement since. Lantus worked great at first, but after a while ended up being just like water, like you said. I started out at 18 units of lantus when first diagnosed, and was taking 60 or so before I switched. I was also on a pump for a few years, and still never got control as good as I have now. My other insulin is novolog, which is what I’ve always used. Since getting back on the CGM, both my endo and I think the Tresiba is working well for me — I have actually already been wondering about the novolog, but I was assuming I just needed to adjust my ratios and that would solve it. Hadn’t considered possibly trying a different fast insulin. I’m all for trying absolutely anything that might help, so I’ll mention it to my endo! Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: Marie 2

Hatfield

Sounds like he's a keeper! I'm sorry you had to suffer other endo's who reacted differently.

Of the things you mention I only fit the high dose of Tresiba, 108 units currently. But I'm 44 with a 35-ish BMI so not the same at all. I've asked my endo if this is something to be concerned about, and she's perfectly fine with it. To her thinking, it takes what is needed, the dose keeping your BG's as healthy as possible is the right dose. Works well for me :)

Good luck, I hope that with the help of your current endo and your CGM you'll be able to improve things even more!

I like that line of thinking! Sounds like you have a keeper, as well. Thank you for your input!

Hatfield

I am not saying this to say look at my low insulin units; levels aren't I great & often a bit over the place so just trying to stress we are all different

30+ years diabectic, on the overweight side of things but I only take 10 units of Tresiba. As pointed out in the another thread of mine this may be too much (as drop in he late afternoon) but I know if I tweak it down to 9 units I am going to be high most of the night. So sometimes being on a higher dose means you can make changes easier.

Sorry not really helped but just saying we shouldn't compare ourselves and this goes to HCP as well ans sometimes you just don't fit the guidelines/norm.

I find that very helpful actually, thank you! It helps to hear others’ experiences and points of view. It can be too easy to compare ourselves and our management to others, even our past selves, and I catch myself getting caught up in it. I started out at 18 units of Lantus when I was diagnosed, so sometimes I look back and wonder what happened. Life happened, I suppose!

I’ve also noticed that adjusting even by one or two units can have such a drastic effect. If only there were a way to do half units!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve also noticed that adjusting even by one or two units can have such a drastic effect. If only there were a way to do half units!

You can get re-usable pens that can do half units, the Novopen 5 and Novopen Echo for Novo insulins, hopefully there's an option for Lantus (oops I somehow read Lantus,ignore this) as well but I don't know which it would be.
Though half unit pens may have a smaller max value, the max units in one go from the Echo is 30

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Don’t compare what you needed at first to what you need now. We all go through a honeymoon period where we still make some insulin until we stop altogether. This process can take years. Usually the younger you are the process can be fast, but we are all so different and don’t fit into exact molds.