Are Diabetic chocolates any good for you?

Prabin

i had some diabetic chocolate and i have one problem. im sure there are bad things about them, anyone know what the bad things about diabetic chocolate is? :?: :?: :?:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
They used to be sold as laxatives. Very effective. :oops: :evil:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Diabetic chocolate contains polyols which ,if eaten in any quantity means you spend a long time in the loo!
Try the darkest chocolate you can find, the darker the chocolate the less number of carbs it has. Linzt do 70% but there are also higher percentages than that if you can find them.
Personally I never buy anything marked 'diabetic' ! :twisted:

Pinocchia

Dislikes
Smell of burnt toasts,
Hey! I really wouldn't say that there are bad things towards sugar-free chocolate; it's just chocolate with no sugar added and has the same calories and fats (well, less, of course) just like regular chocolate. I'm sure it won't do any bad for you...

Here in my country (and I believe that it's also comercialized in other countries in South America) we've got a few brands; Felfort is one of them and offers milk-added chocolate, bitter chocolate, and with cereal added -Torroncino, which I'm a fan of :) And it tastes the same as regular chocolate. I've actually tried it before I was diagnosed.

Anyway, it does no good nor bad, it's just chocolate. A girl's best friend for sad moments, or anxiety. What brand is it?

Greetings!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i used to eat it before joining here, then i looked at the carbs/sugars in them and normal chocolate and some of them are actually higher than usual choccy :?

Dobbs

The problem with so-called "diabetic chocolate" is that there's the implication in the way they market it that it's OK for diabetics, so you can go ahead and eat it the way you used to eat chocolate bars before you knew you were diabetic. This is a pretty dangerous implication. "Diabetic chocolate" eaten in largish quantities is still far too high in carbs so will send your blood sugar up. Far better to have small doses of Lindt 85% or 90%. Waitrose generally has these, and so do various other places.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Prabin
diabetic chocolates probably aren't harmful, but as has been written, if it contains polyol sweetener, and you are sensitive to it, you could develop diarrhoea.
A small amount doesn't actually affect me at all.
However it doesn't taste particularly nice and costs a lot.
High cocoa solids dak chocolate is often lower in sugars. LIdl do a 74% one which is 33grams of sugar per 100g. Others are lower. Then Just hav a LITTLE bit. 33% of one square isn't a lot of sugar in total
Hana
PS a TINY bit of almost anything isn't going to destroy weeks of carb counting.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My DN told me I could eat 70%+ chocolate and eat about 4 small squares, I have no effects from it, whereas when I ate diabetic chocolates it had a very bad effect on me (Loo probs).

goji

I eat Lindt 99%. It's really dark and probably an acquired taste but the best thing about it is that a 50g bar only has 4g of carb which means that i can happily eat my way through half a bar a day without worrying about my blood sugars too much!!

You can buy it in Whittard of Chelsea (the teapot/coffee shop) who also do 90% and 80% Lindt.