Are diabetics more susceptible to anemia, even if your diet is good?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hello all,

I am feeling very ill since Wednesday and it's all the textbook symptoms of anemia. I feel awful. I keep crying for no reason, I have a dizziness and headaches pretty much 24/7, my eyes feel weird, pale gums, palpitations, and my head just feels like I've been hit with a blunt object along with pressure/numbness at the back of my head. I can't focus on anything and my body feels so drained/weak it's like I am having a hypo constantly but I'm not. My body temp is low (35.4) and so is my blood pressure (106/65 when I woke up). Mu pulse is also lower than normal in the high 50s when I am usually a steady 60-80. Doctor thinks I have a flu virus but I do not have any other symptoms (no cough, no fever, etc) and I haven't left the house since March other than to open the door for deliveries and water my vegetables in the back garden.

I've got a home test for iron deficiency anemia arriving next week as I can't really do blood tests and the doctor said those home tests are quite good these days.

I do not understand how I have anemia if that is what is going on. I take vitamins daily that have 76% iron RDA, and my protein shakes are fortified with iron. I eat lots of nuts and meat and spinach. Are diabetics more susceptible regardless of diet?

Also, if you have any other suggestions as to what might be going on, let me know. I am feeling so low and I can't even do anything. I'm worried about work because I am on emails only for the moment and after 1 hour of being at my computer I want to pass out and the words on the screen get blurry. I am so fed up of having headaches non stop and being maxed out on paracetamol :(

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
No, they don't unless there's another concomitant disease.
Your feelings expressed, and symptoms, don't really gel with that of anaemia.
For instance, over this last New Year, I had a very big gastric bleed, the only thing in common is the light headedness. But that's just me.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
No, they don't unless there's another concomitant disease.
Your feelings expressed, and symptoms, don't really gel with that of anaemia.
For instance, over this last New Year, I had a very big gastric bleed, the only thing in common is the light headedness. But that's just me.

Oh.. well according to NHS site and doctor they do. Doctor recommended a blood test for anemia. I even have the pale gums.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you find an answer to your symptoms, but according to the description you have given, your symptoms came on over a single day. I have never heard that anaemia starts like that.

please let us know what the results are of the tests are.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I used to have low level anemia for years after I had my two kids and (males please ignore) my periods became very heavy (embarrassingly so). Supplements never seemed to get on top of it but when my doctor finally gave me a mirena (type of coil with hormones to reduce flow) the problem was solved. I don't think my anemia had anything to do with my diabetes.

Good luck.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I used to have low level anemia for years after I had my two kids and (males please ignore) my periods became very heavy (embarrassingly so). Supplements never seemed to get on top of it but when my doctor finally gave me a mirena (type of coil with hormones to reduce flow) the problem was solved. I don't think my anemia had anything to do with my diabetes.

Good luck.

Did you experience the symptoms I'm having?

I don't have much appetite, but I swear a cup of Bovril made me feel better.