Are lower Bg levels good for the Brain ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yesterday, all my Bg levels were in the 5's.

Waking..............................5 mmol/l.
2 hrs after breakfast..............5.1
2 hrs after mid-day meal..........5
Before evening meal...............5.1
2 hrs after evening meal..........5.2

Great, you might think. Just what you need ? Until later that evening I screwed up something and caused heartache to someone I care for. :(

Is there a connection between low Bg levels and behaviour ? Anybody know of any research ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you google (on scholar) hypoglycemia and cognitive function and hyperglycemia and cognitive function, you will find hundreds of studies. There is no doubt that the brain depends upon the right amount of glucose and both too much and too little can lead to cognitive impairment immediately and perhaps (with frequent high/low levels) longterm . Your levels weren't at either extreme, they were what most people would say were both normal and very stable. I doubt very much if they had anything to do with your problem. I expect it was (to be very scientific), one of those things that sadly happens to all of us.

If you do want to look at the science, do remember that it is not just blood glucose levels, many other aspects of nutrition impact on cognition. (meal timings, composition, size, age etc) Its a complex field.
I found this 'summary', though quite honestly it probably serves to show that there are more questions than answers.
(and I can't link it as it is one of those strange ones that dont' work.)

(normal google and second on list)
Nutritional influences on cognitive function:
mechanisms of susceptibility
E. Leigh Gibson and Michael W. Green

wallycorker

cugila said:

Great, you might think. Just what you need ? Until later that evening I screwed up something and caused heartache to someone I care for. :(

Is there a connection between low Bg levels and behaviour ? Anybody know of any research ?
Great that Ken,

Perhaps now might be the time to start testing 1 hour after meals and see what you can achieve with that. That's what I'm doing now - I'm no longer interested in my 2 hour after eating results.

Keep at it.

Best Wishes - John

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
cugila said:

Nice work there Ken. Wish I was Type Two... :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ken
I did ask David Mendosa a while ago when someone was suggesting that low carb slowed the functions of the brain, whether he was slowed down. You may know he's an ultra low carber and off all medication. He told me he's sharper than ever. I don't find myself lacking speed or accuracy of thinking. However, I'm as absentminded as always. ( my professor told me( 40 years ago) I was suitable for a higher level of study on those grounds)
Acron
It's ahrder for a T2, not using insulin to get numbers like Ken has posted, than a T1 using insulin. It takes MUCH more discipline.
they are brilliant!

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
First a very few people on Insulin, Can and do become very violent.
as a warning people have been arrested slung into a cell and died They were DIABETIC in a Coma
as proof my pump has a warning:

I HAVE DIABETES If my BEHAVIORIS is PECULIAR (appear Intoxicated) or I am unconscious, etc etc

I have seen a nice Guy Behave very Violently to his wife.
many years ago I swore at my Wife in a semi Coma?

Not to get involved with the Idiots Hi/Low C**********
Fact IF YOU ARE ON INSULIN YOU HAVE GOT TO HAVE Carbohydrate or you RISK all
if your type 2 do what you want to!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that my brain functions a WHOLE LOT BETTER when my BG is low. I also believe that it is rapid changeds in BG that effect behaviour - not the actual sustained level.

WhimsicalWays

From personal experience, I think a mid-range/'normal' blood sugar (5-6 for me, a Type 1) is ideal for immediate thinking. I gather this sort of 'optimal' level really varies for T1s and T2s. In my youth I failed several tests being below 4.0 (tests that I had studied very hard for - pretty disappointing for a young person) - clear proof that, for me, these levels are not good for brain function. Without adequate amount of glucose, of course the brain functions differently... Now, with respect to the long term impact on brain function I am not sure, and would have to consult current research. When I was diagnosed, about 15 years ago, I was told that recurrent severe hypos would "damage brain cells."

On the other hand, while I learned to ride higher for exams (throughout highschool as well as university - my bachelor's and master's degree), being too high made me sluggish and far slower at processing information. Also, when you feel slightly dehydrated etc. of course your brain performance isn't ideal.

So, while easier said than done, aiming to find a healthy/stable/mid-range blood glucose level is ideal for present-day brain function, as well as long-term. Admittedly, when I (occasionally) have really bad hypos (in the middle of the night, where it's hard to wake up, and I am full of panic and super confused) I do question how this might impact my brain later in life....

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
cugila said:

Hi Ken,
I think most of us can relate to your experience, personally I would not read to much into your BG levels being the cause. I have found a link that points to high BG causing behaviour problems, you obviously don't fit in to that category.

when blood glucose levels were high, the rate of problem behavior was higher than when blood glucose levels were within normal range

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... e99246be62

Cheers
Graham