1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are oats porridge bad for breakfast ?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by justconfused, Jan 15, 2009.

1. justconfused

justconfused · Active Member

Hi,

Having mixed feelings ... I am currently taking oats with water and a couple of starwberries for breakfast. Is that bad ?

What about half a slice of brown bread with a touch of cheese?

how much is harmful ?

I know it is daft but I am still confused reading from all the sources which give conflicting answers. I do not have a scale so cannot gauge the amount. Hence, eating very little.

2. Cameraman

Cameraman · Well-Known Member

I have jumbo porridge oats and oat bran mixed with nuts and dried fruit, semi skimmed milk on and microwaved, my wife makes it me up from scratch. I love it now and it sets me up for the day. Bread of any type sends my BS up, as does any type of bought porridge or instant. Everyone is diferant so you should try and find whats suitable for you my testing before breakfast then afer 2 hours.

3. justconfused

thanks cameraman .. really appreciated your reply.

Cannot find jumbo oats here, so just having he classic one. My husband makes it for me :wink:

cheers

4. Jenny

Jenny · Well-Known Member

Scott's Old Fashioned Porage Oats are large and flat rolled. Most supermarkets I visit stock them.

I find that this product provides a porage with a better texture than using the smaller more refined types of porage. One cup of oats and 1.5 cups of milk microwaved for 2-3 minutes to get the consistency you prefer is the easiest way of cooking. Try without either salt or sugar, they have a natural sweetness. Also worth sprinkling a teaspoonful of wheat germ on to of the plate after cooking.

5. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. justconfused

Thanks Ian, been following your advice and eating cheese ... helps in emergency and when out and about ... I eat small cocktail cubes of cheese and carry them with me....

7. Ardbeg

Ardbeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is what I have too; with Cravendale semi skinned and a healthy sprinkling of cinammon powder

8. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

Oats are brilliant 8) I have a bowl every morning with 2 scoops of protein powder as part of my weight training diet and they are well recommended :)

9. Synonym

Synonym · Well-Known Member

They are brilliant if your body can tolerate them. :roll: Always test and remember that portion control is vital.

10. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

Yupy :) I don't have a big portion as im not a big eater in the morning and it needs to be a small portion due to my weight training meal plan :D

11. cavelioness

cavelioness Type 2 · Well-Known Member

love my porridge first thing made half milk (semi skimmed) and half water microwaved and then shake on the cinnamon. bliss

12. Isis2

Isis2 · Member

Has anyone tried making their porriage with skimmed milk and water, just a thought, I hate skimmed milk in tea/coffe and on cornflakes, but I can take it in cooking as you don't seem to notice it. So I used Semi Skimmed milk when drinking tea/coffee, and then skimmed milk for making rice pudding/yorkshire puddig or any other cooking requirements.

13. Janieb

Janieb · Well-Known Member

Yep I have porridge with 1/2 water and 1/2 skimmed milk on a regular basis using the cheapo oats from Tescos and seem fine with it.
    Some people here suffer with high blood levels everwards but I seem fine.

Also like to have cheese on toast but after my cholesterol reading thats now banned certainly hard cheese anyway.

14. rpage

rpage · Member

Tesco sell Jumbo Oats.I find Flanagans are best and the organic ones are the same price as the non organic. Our Tesco has just added Jordans Jumbo Oats. If you use Tesco and they do not stock them ask the manager, explain that Diabetics love them and if s/he has any business sense will get them stocked. Personally, I know the exact amount of oats, water and time to microwave! And to stop dropping oats everywhere use a small glass sitting inside a larger glass bowl - I then use the glass as my water measure and hey presto 2m30secs later I am in business! :wink:

15. Ricky

Ricky Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I make my own muesli up by mixing equal amounts of Dorset farm original muesli (blue box with nuts) with jumbo oats and then add , pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, goji berries, cocoa nibs and a load of wheat germ. I mix this up in a large tin and use a handful in a bowl with natural yogurt, mix cinnamon into that and add natural soya milk (Holland and Barretts is just soya beans and water - nothing else) I reckon I have a good mix of fibre and protein there. This keeps me full for 3+ hours and my bg seems to cope with it.

16. yullamah

yullamah · Newbie

i ve changed my oat cereal to just fruit instead as it was making me feel sick. i eat the semi sweet fruit instead eg apples pears cherries etc, it seems to be working at keeping my sugar from rising. i am going to the doctor to c if i am gluten and lactose intolerant and will change my whole way of eating. my food intake is small portions are the best at the moment. but for my cup of tea i use the lowest skim fat milk i can buy . i have cut back on my potato intake and i am feeling great. plus i am trying to keep active because it is winter here.

17. notafanofsugar

notafanofsugar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was always told that "porridge is the breakfast of champions" :lol:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook