Are pumps benifical?

Bethgabs

Hi im a 24 year old female and had diabeties since i was 10. It was quite a shock to me and the family amd new too the family as no one else had it. Over the years my blood sugars have been very up and down but were excellently controlled when i wAs pregnant with my son now 2. Having recently lost 5 stone in weight and back how i was before the baby, i feel as if my blood sugars are always up and down and think a pump might suit my busy lifestyle.
Looking for a bit of advice on who has a pump and any good?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi beth, had a pump for a few months now but after a day I wouldn't of gave have it up, fantastic. if u can get one I would recommend it to anyone. does take a while to get used to at first and alot of effort and testing/fasting to get the hourly basal rates correct. Since then its been amazing. It has sorted out my dawn phenomenon, where I would rise alot early hours but if I have extra basal I would have good morning readings but have alot of hypos during the day. no more injections ~ great!!, have the accu chek combo so have bluetooth so don't even have to touch the pump to bolus. Alot easier to do unplanned activity as you can do temp basal rates, also if on the low side can do a temp basal rate without having to snack. So, can u tell I'm definitely happy with mine lol.
The obvious down side is there is a needle (cannula) in u 24/7 but I honestly don't feel that, and the pump needs to be carried somewhere on your person. if u can manage that go for it.
do u currently carb count as that is normally needed prior to getting a pump?
Any questions feel free to pm or just post here.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Bethgabs

Thanks! No i dont really im on weight watchers so is a low calorie diet! My docs are hopless did u go direct to your hosp clinic? Ive been advised by familwy and friends too get 1 as im finding it hard contolling high bloods, i take novo rapid amd have hypos one bigvicous circle. But recently stopped that things thats why ive lost so much weight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got mine on recommendation from the hospital dsn. Was offered once about 6 months before getting it as I took a while deciding on if I should have it, wish is got it sooner.
Congratulations on your weight loss too :) would imagine that would play havoc with bg levels. Would be worth discussing with your dsn about a carb counting course as well as a pump.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck, hope u manage to get one sorted.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Good luck with getting your pump. I start on the Medtronic Veo next Wednesday and, like you, I need something to help with my erratic BG Levels.

Do you know if you meet any of the NICE Criteria for obtaining a pump?

I asked my consultant at the hospital for a pump and he contacted the pump clinic, the whole process (from speaking to my consultant up until next Wednesday) has taken 3.5 months. :)

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

kevc78

I get mine fitted a week on monday so ive got one in the house so I can get used to using it and changing the doses etc before I start properly and already I would definitely recommend it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Usually struggling with highs/lows alot of the time is the main criteria I think. also having an active lifestyle is a good point to have a pump as adjustments can be easily made. Different clinics trend to have different criteria and funding so really down to your diabetic team.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
All CCG's have to follow the NICE criteria, which you can find on the input website (www . Input . Me. UK)

They also have a lot of information about starting the process for obtaining a pump.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

steveamos1234

I would love to get a pump, but I don't meet the guidelines as my BG control and HBA1C is good.

Hopefully one day they will open it up to everyone.

Pneu

steveamos1234 said:
I would love to get a pump, but I don't meet the guidelines as my BG control and HBA1C is good.

Hopefully one day they will open it up to everyone.

It's a misnomer that you can't get a pump with good blood glucose control.

I got a pump with an HbA1c in the high 4's / low 5's as long as you can show significant impact to your daily life then you can get a pump on lifestyle criteria. Mine was based on the 10+ injections I was doing a day to maintain control.. but the consultant actually put on the funding form "uncontrolled night-time hypo's" this he said was the quickest way to get it funded!

Reference the pump... personally it has made a slight difference to my control but a big difference to my life.. a lot easier than all the injections. I also self-fund a CGM which is an absolute god send and for the cost of test strips I have no idea why they don't make these more available generally.

In reference to the OP's original issue of wild blood glucose.. I would suggest you cut down on sugars / carbohydrate; less insulin injected is less wild swings and roundabouts... do a number of fasting tests to make sure that your basal is correct.. generally I find that most people have issue with their basal profile which is having a knock on effect with their BGs in general.. Its a lot of work but all things you will need to do if you want a pump to work successfully for you.

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I had to see my consultant in order to be given the okay for a pump, really high morning readings are my problem for which I have to take a correction dose of 20 units of Humulin S to counteract and if I ever have a lie in then the sky really is the limit!!

I have my first day of a 3 day training course next Monday and the 2nd at the end of July. Then I get the pump at the beginning of October

Lorna

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Pneu said:

Aha! The Return of the Pneu!

Glad to see you back on here!

Best

Dillinger

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dillinger said:
Pneu said:

Aha! The Return of the Pneu!

Glad to see you back on here!

Best

Dillinger

Now you've been a member as long as I have Dillinger, history tells us that no matter what people say on leaving they always return to the biggest and best diabetes forum in the UK :thumbup:

Pneu

To be honest I posted on here earlier today to support the GP that was getting some stick for having an entirely sensible view (having seen this highlighted elsewhere); you would think that the forum admin would want to help and support HCP that are giving up their time to come here and help out (clearly not).

This forum is certainly the largest in the UK although it does still appear that threads are following the same old path to closure / deletion; which is a shame because it means this is still a place of no real debate.

Anyway I shall go back to hiding under my own little rock now I have caught up on PMs!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bethgabs said:
Another silly question, do u find you put on weight with it?

Personally, I havn't put extra weight on with the pump. Just the same as on injections really. Insulin is known for weight gain if overused on a poor diet, with no excercise.