1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are small doses of basal insulin not worth taking as a T1?

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by tim2000s, Sep 16, 2015.

1. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Following a discussion in a separate topic, where a statement was made to the effect that taking a dose of insulin towards the bottom end of the Y-axis on this graph (I'm assuming below 0.2U/kg - which is 16U for an 80kg person) wasn't worthwhile as it made no difference as there are far bigger variables going on in the body, I wondered what other peoples thoughts on this might be.

[​IMG]

Personally I find that it does make a difference and enables me to manage my fasted blood glucose levels very effectively. Have other people experienced that small doses of basal insulin make little difference to their control or that they are sensitive enough to only require low doses?

• Like Like x 2
  2. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm really sensitive to basal insulin. I even have a half unit pen as even that can make a difference. Currently taking 3 units of tresiba once a day.

I should add that I weight 60kg so that's a teeny 0.05u/kg. It doesn't sound like its enough to work but if I don't take enough I soon know about it.

• Like Like x 4
    #2 drahawkins_1973, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  3. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am taking 0.18u per kg of basal and it keeps me very flat well past 24 hours.

• Like Like x 2
  4. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

I'm also taking about 0.18u of basal . If I were on a backpacking holiday that would be halved.
    Recently I forgot to put the cap on my cannula and went for an evening swim. Next morning my glucose level was 186mg/dl, I'm never that high in the mornings, it got worse after breakfast. I presume the salt water had made the insulin completely ineffective ( It took me ages to work out what had caused the problem) I'd rather take the basal and wake up somewhat lower.

#4 phoenix, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Sucre Bleu

Sucre Bleu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am just trying to get my head around this. I weigh 60kg and take 2units/dose of novorapid plus Lantus at night
    A few months ago I spent time in hospital while they fiddled with my insulin following a long period of noncompliance.
    To me 2 units seemed so tiny, however when I came home I started working on being LCHF, it is taking abit of getting used to, as I have severe gastroparesis, and am working on marrying LCHF with a low residue type of diet, white bread sandwiches, but with quality fillings were about all my stomach could tolerate, so it has been problematic, but I am determined to make it work, and the 2 units is certainly enough most days.
    DOH Basal
    I don't have enough fingers.... still 60kg 16 Lantus

• Like Like x 2
    #5 Sucre Bleu, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Neemo

Neemo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

0.19 per kg of lantus - lower if undertaking strenuous activity. Very effective.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LucySW

LucySW LADA · Well-Known Member

Old thread. But small basal doses are v effective for me. I take 6u a day and weigh 68kg, so thats 0.07u/kg. !!

If I don't take it, after about five days, problem.

I'm a LADA still in honeymoon, though.

8. Griffter15

Griffter15 · Well-Known Member

I find the opposite. I weight about 80kg. If I were to take 16 units of lantus in one dose the peak that hits around 5 - 7 hours in needs about 20g carbs to correct it or double if I'm doing something active.

I split it into 2 doses 10 units in the morning 6 at night and this seems to work well.

9. Sucre Bleu

Sucre Bleu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had forgotten this thread, still managing on 2 units Novorapid with meals. Started having hypos first thing in the morning 1.9-2.3s. Ended up back in hospital with a cancer issue and I had dropped my night Lantus down from 14 to 12units.
    The prof swung by and slashed from 12 to freaking 4. I was very nervous to say the least. That was over Christmas, I am on 5 units at night now. It is very tight control, with not much room to move.

10. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

when not on my pump i use levemir.
    i have 6u at 8am and 4u at 11pm and i weigh 57kg
    less is more ;)

11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Lol. Since I started this topic, my needs have dropped to 10u am and 3.5u pm..... That works out at 0.1 and 0.04 u/kg...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook