Are small doses of basal insulin not worth taking as a T1?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Following a discussion in a separate topic, where a statement was made to the effect that taking a dose of insulin towards the bottom end of the Y-axis on this graph (I'm assuming below 0.2U/kg - which is 16U for an 80kg person) wasn't worthwhile as it made no difference as there are far bigger variables going on in the body, I wondered what other peoples thoughts on this might be.

Levimirspeeddose.jpg

Personally I find that it does make a difference and enables me to manage my fasted blood glucose levels very effectively. Have other people experienced that small doses of basal insulin make little difference to their control or that they are sensitive enough to only require low doses?

Reactions: 2 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really sensitive to basal insulin. I even have a half unit pen as even that can make a difference. Currently taking 3 units of tresiba once a day.

I should add that I weight 60kg so that's a teeny 0.05u/kg. It doesn't sound like its enough to work but if I don't take enough I soon know about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking 0.18u per kg of basal and it keeps me very flat well past 24 hours.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm also taking about 0.18u of basal . If I were on a backpacking holiday that would be halved.
Recently I forgot to put the cap on my cannula and went for an evening swim. Next morning my glucose level was 186mg/dl, I'm never that high in the mornings, it got worse after breakfast. I presume the salt water had made the insulin completely ineffective ( It took me ages to work out what had caused the problem) I'd rather take the basal and wake up somewhat lower.

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just trying to get my head around this. I weigh 60kg and take 2units/dose of novorapid plus Lantus at night
A few months ago I spent time in hospital while they fiddled with my insulin following a long period of noncompliance.
To me 2 units seemed so tiny, however when I came home I started working on being LCHF, it is taking abit of getting used to, as I have severe gastroparesis, and am working on marrying LCHF with a low residue type of diet, white bread sandwiches, but with quality fillings were about all my stomach could tolerate, so it has been problematic, but I am determined to make it work, and the 2 units is certainly enough most days.
DOH Basal
I don't have enough fingers.... still 60kg 16 Lantus

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
0.19 per kg of lantus - lower if undertaking strenuous activity. Very effective.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Old thread. But small basal doses are v effective for me. I take 6u a day and weigh 68kg, so thats 0.07u/kg. !!

If I don't take it, after about five days, problem.

I'm a LADA still in honeymoon, though.

Griffter15

I find the opposite. I weight about 80kg. If I were to take 16 units of lantus in one dose the peak that hits around 5 - 7 hours in needs about 20g carbs to correct it or double if I'm doing something active.

I split it into 2 doses 10 units in the morning 6 at night and this seems to work well.

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had forgotten this thread, still managing on 2 units Novorapid with meals. Started having hypos first thing in the morning 1.9-2.3s. Ended up back in hospital with a cancer issue and I had dropped my night Lantus down from 14 to 12units.
The prof swung by and slashed from 12 to freaking 4. I was very nervous to say the least. That was over Christmas, I am on 5 units at night now. It is very tight control, with not much room to move.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when not on my pump i use levemir.
i have 6u at 8am and 4u at 11pm and i weigh 57kg
less is more ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol. Since I started this topic, my needs have dropped to 10u am and 3.5u pm..... That works out at 0.1 and 0.04 u/kg...