Are taking Statins for many years a cause of my T2

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 five months ago at the age 66. While surfing this forum I have read negative reviews on Statins in relation to BG. Am on Amlodipine and Losartan Potassium for Blood pressure and Atorvastatin 20mg x day for Cholesterol from the last 15 years. Could my recent diagnosis of diabetes be a result of the use of statins for a long time?

Last edited:

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possibly. It's (increasingly) a recognised risk/side-effect of statins. There's been a lot of controversy around statins that suggests the benefits have been greatly overstated, and the risks understated. Aseem Malhotra's got some interesting presentations on the problems with statins.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly believe in retrospect that they could have been part of the cause for me! I think I've mentioned this before but during one of my earliest visits to my DN I said to her that I understood that statins could be implicated in diabetes her reply was "yes - they're good for you....":banghead:

I definitely know that stopping taking them did actually improve my glucose levels.

Robbity

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I certainly believe in retrospect that they could have been part of the cause for me! I think I've mentioned this before but during one of my earliest visits to my DN I said to her that I understood that statins could be implicated in diabetes her reply was "yes - they're good for you....":banghead:

I definitely know that stopping taking them did actually improve my glucose levels.

Robbity
Some times I think you would get more sense from a six year old.

And as to th OP's question I think it a definite possibility but you would never prove it.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Like John, I think there's a possibility but you'd be extremely lucky if you could prove it.

I wasn't prescribed Atorvastatin until I was diagnosed type II and I took them for 15 years. I experienced the three main side effects, muscle pain, poor sleep and brain fog, but would be unable to say if it affected my BG levels. My total cholesterol dropped significantly when I changed to a low carb (<40gms per day) and I had the confidence to chuck them in the bin for good. Total cholesterol is still OKish by GP/NHS standards.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started taking statins when diagnosed with T2 (hba1c 48) as ‘all diabetics should take them’ and within 6 months my hba1c had risen to 54 and I was then prescribed Janivier. By then I had started to research statins and their affects as I was also suffering sudden onset dizzy spells and discovered that there was a correlation between statins and introduction of diabetes in some (probably more than they would like to admit) patients. Due to the dizzy spells I came off the statins, with my GPs consent, and my hba1c gradually reduced and has remained in the mid 30s for the past 4 years - it’s currently 34. I believe it was the statins that pushed my Hba1c up and, despite having the ‘statins discussion’ at every review, I will not be taking them again.

Reactions: dbr10