1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are there any carbs in fresh air?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by adrian207, Dec 16, 2014.

1. adrian207

adrian207 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The reason I'm asking is because this morning I registered a 7.0 before brekky then had a cup of tea, no sugar no sweeteners. Got washed and dressed and walked to town and back, approximately 3 1/2 - 4 miles. Monitored myself again after 2 1/2 hrs and I get a reading of 7.4 :bigtears: How can that be? Last thing I had to eat was my tea last night and after tea I was 5.4. Watch out for the air you breathe Toxic-Waste-toxic-waste-mask-smiley-emoticon-000608-facebook.gif

Attached Files:

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Did you have milk in your tea? Or you may be one of those people like myself whose BG's always seem to go up after exercise. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. adrian207

Yep, skimmed milk. or is it the water?:yuck:

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I suffer quite badly from FOG (foot on ground) as soon as I surface and one toe hits the deck my blood sugar will start to rise.
    Lucky for me I have a pump so can set my basals to stop the problem. Which obviously does't help you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

lol yeh I was assuming, it was a late breakfast like mine normally is!

6. adrian207

Now that's a damned good question....................
    answer................nothing, just a cup of tea with no sugar, no sweeteners and skimmed milk.:confused:

7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Exercise can cause unpredictable short-term sugar rises. I guess it's the liver trying to do it's job by dumping some glucose?

• Like Like x 2
  8. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry I edited my reply out as reread your post again. I read it as tested before breakfast then had a cuppa after.

9. adrian207

A reading of 7.0 is high for me first thing in the morning, so decided to try and reduce it by having no brek and doing my normal morning walk.

" I guess it's the liver trying to do it's job by dumping some glucose?" would that be a good or bad thing? Still learning:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  10. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would say that was your liver contributing glucose assuming that the walking exercise would be continuing and you needed more energy. You have to train them you know, but it's like training cats and I haven't got mine under full control yet.

PS especially if you had no breakfast.

• Like Like x 2
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well that explains a lot then. No hope for me if my liver is behaving like a cat. I hate cats. I guess it knows that already.;)

• Like Like x 4
  12. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

In the absence of food your liver will provide the energy you need for the morning ahead, this is where the term 'breakfast' comes from as it is breaking the fast, I'm a type 1 and if I don't eat breakfast my bg levels can be in double figures 2 hours after waking.

• Like Like x 2
  13. linda321

linda321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My BS usually goes up 3 or 4 mmol/l after 50 mins exercise class at the gym.

14. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes mine goes up after any type of exercise regardless of whether I have eaten or not.

15. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd be worried if there were carbs in the air because you'd be at an imminent risk of a dust explosion.

16. Alasdair

Alasdair Type 1 · Well-Known Member

you went up by 0.4. That's not a lot at all when you allow some wiggle room for meter accuracy / clean hands etc. I think it needs to be put into perspective.

17. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My liver thinks that I am on the point of starvation every morning How can I train it to think otherwise :banghead:
    CAROL

18. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some people have reduced their DP by having a small snack before bed (a little cheese or some nuts). My DP seemed to go once I habitually had protein for breakfast (eggs, bacon) instead of cereal and toast pre-diagnosis. I guess the body adapts (I was going to say 'learn' although the liver seems to be quite intelligent ...).

19. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi , strange as it may seam....eat small regular snacks and have a small snack just as you go to bed , this keeps your liver busy and will even things out:))

20. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi,@zand Saw this the other day, and as you don't like cats neither does this lady now.
    Hope it does not upset you, Just a good reason to be careful :)
    Viewer Video: Cat attacks woman in the snow - YouTube

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook