1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are Vegetarians Healthier than Omnivores?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mbaker, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

This was a fascinating debate between Nina Teicholz and David L.Katz. A little spicy as Mr Katz has to put it mildly said unpleasant things towards Nina in the past. I am going to listen to again on my walk.

What strikes me is that Nina produced some very good points, I just wonder if these were an answer to another question i.e. replacing "Omnivores" with LCHF, I would have thought would put her answers in her best context? I feel the question was more suited to persons advocating the "standard" west diets that mix carbs / sugars, fats and proteins in a manner many on this site disagree with.

I think it too broad to place a whole foods LCHF / Keto lifestyle diet under the same umbrella as say the SAD (standard American diet) or SUK (standard UK diet). I am quite sure Nina's intention was not to answer on behalf of the status quo, as Mr Katz's responses were directed towards "standard" eaters

My view is that a well formulated Vegetarian diet would have better outcomes than a standard western Omnivore diet, especially if this was the fish / egg version of the Vegetarian protocol.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

@Tipetoo backs quietly out of this thread ...and closes door.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook