Are you getting the right kind of calories?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Same old, same old. :banghead:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How can a unit of energy be wrong?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The term 'empty calories' confounds me. How can it be empty if it gets converted to energy? Or does this mean I can go and sink a chocolate bar for free?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term 'empty calories' confounds me. How can it be empty if it gets converted to energy? Or does this mean I can go and sink a chocolate bar for free?

It means energy without any nutritional value whatsover. The worst offender is table sugar.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read the article early and agree with it tbh, your 'empty' calories are the ones without nutrition,
A can of diet "zero" fizzy drink contains about 10kcal - the same as a small (30g) carrot. The carrot has the quality calories, while the fizzy drink doesn't
sums it up for me with the carrot having vitamins and minerals, I'd have to agree with this too -
According to Public Health England, a healthy diet should include:

• lots of fruit and vegetables
  • some starchy foods such as wholegrain bread, pasta and rice
  • some protein from meat, fish, dairy or pulses
  • a bit of fat
Things to cut down on are:

• sugary fizzy drinks
  • alcoholic drinks
  • sugary breakfast cereals
  • cakes
  • biscuits
  • pastries

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the article early and agree with it tbh, your 'empty' calories are the ones without nutrition, sums it up for me with the carrot having vitamins and minerals, I'd have to agree with this too -
Depends if the person has Type 2 or not of course.. that "healthy" diet would have their blood sugar through the roof.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What annoys me is this constant use of the term 'Healthy Whole Grains'. They do not seem to attach the 'healthy' to other foodstuffs. Why not call it what it is? Grain, or bread which is what they are referring to in the main.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What annoys me is this constant use of the term 'Healthy Whole Grains'. They do not seem to attach the 'healthy' to other foodstuffs. Why not call it what it is? Grain, or bread which is what they are referring to in the main.
I blame Ian Botham.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is the processing the grains go through that actually destroys much of their 'goodness' and this is what is conveniently omitted from the sales blurb. Even Granola is messed up unless wou make it from scratch. Tha is why flours and breads and cereals all need to have vitamins and calcium added to them to make them' healthy' again. Its a big con.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends if the person has Type 2 or not of course.. that "healthy" diet would have their blood sugar through the roof.

But the article isn't about T2 diabetes
Public Health England said excess calories were the root cause of obesity and tackling the issue was a priority.
is the gist of it and is correct in what it says, and if obesity is one of the causes of T2 then it is in fact a salient point..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good spot for a reminder about Gabor Erdosi's talk on ultraprocessed food. Prof Noakes has only just watched it and is blown away by the science - proving yet again that he's open to new theories. Shame Tedstone still pushes the same BS year in, year out.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Big assumption.. what if obesity is a symptom?
Nah, that will never catch on, it's much more satisfying to blame the obese for eating too much. :rolleyes: I would have thought that any diabetic would realise that insulin is a fat promoting hormone and that obese T2's obviously have too much insulin floating around in their system because of insulin resistance.

Reactions: Guzzler

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big assumption.. what if obesity is a symptom?

It's certainly a risk factor and the medical profession do suggest it to be a cause, but regardless, the article quoted is in my opinion correct in stating the public health England advice, and as I've said once, t2 diabetes isn't mentioned.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's certainly a risk factor and the medical profession do suggest it to be a cause, but regardless, the article quoted is in my opinion correct in stating the public health England advice, and as I've said once, t2 diabetes isn't mentioned.

Personally I'll stick it in the bin where it deserves to be...

Edited by moderator to remove belittling comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Take it a step further back, what causes someone to become obese thereby heightening their risk of developing T2?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
But the article isn't about T2 diabetes is the gist of it and is correct in what it says, and if obesity is one of the causes of T2 then it is in fact a salient point..

I was just about to say the same thing. It's about eating sensibly, knowing you are getting overweight or feeling unfit, clothes won't fit anymore, then trying to cut out the c**p food and try to eat a sensible healthy diet.
People aren't stupid, but they do tend to ignore things and/or bury their heads in the sand, not a good idea, especially when the state of their health and well being is at stake.

Reactions: kev-w