"Are you sure you can do it with diabetes?" - YES!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
We've had an amazing success story e-mailed in to us and we couldn't NOT share it with you all.

My name is Tom Middleton, I am 16 and preparing to do my GCSE's this summer.

I am the youngest of 5 children and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago. I self-inject novorapid when I eat and levemere at night.

This weekend, I did the Tough Guy in Wolverhampton this weekend. It was pretty horrible, underground tunnels with electric shocks if you hit the sides, 30 foot high obstacles to climb over, a 6 mile run through deep mud, wading through trenches with water up to my neck, jumping through fires. It was so cold my body felt like it was shutting down, it took me 3 hours to complete and I don't want to ever do it again.

But my diabetes was not a problem. Other guys were suffering a lot more than me. The medics told me they were getting one person in every minute. They were pulling out mostly with exhaustion; they were frightening to see, shaking and staggering around with a crazy look in their eyes. It wasn't really surprising the weather was freezing, the mud was overwhelming and at one stage we had hail that hurt your skin when it hit you.

dKOldVm.jpg

I trained a lot with a friend, we had two old baths out in our garden and we filled them with water, got into them, ran for 2 miles, then sat back in them again and then ran another 2 miles. Also I play rugby most weekends and it has taken a while but I am getting better at getting my levels right. I used the Run Sweet site at first for advice but if you are running in a race you can judge exactly what you will need to eat and inject for it, with rugby it’s hard because sometimes it’s a fast game and sometimes it isn’t.

Tough Guy was the same, I didn’t know how much sugar I would need when I started going through the water tunnels for example and I didn’t know how much sugar I would burn from the shivering. I ate a lot of carbs before the start and tested and ate regularly right through. it was difficult to have to force the guys I was running with to wait in the freezing cold, so I had it planed out so that I knew what I would do depending on my level so that I could be fast and didn't need to really think. I stayed at 9 all the way through.

UUDrtSP.jpg

Why did I do it? Because it was fun and a challenge. In some ways it was nothing to do with my diabetes. But when I suggested it to my friends, one said "are you sure you can do it with diabetes" and that sort of pushed me on. I didn't really care what he thought but it made me want to do it to prove to myself that I could dominate diabetes. And it has. It’s not a problem for me anymore, it can't hold me back.

E1iwWAH.jpg

I live in Wiltshire. I am hoping to study engineering at University when I leave school.

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
WOW!!! Fantastic! Please pass my congratulations on to Tom. He's the same age as my daughter who has an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. She does crazy things too. This weekend she was representing England in the Home Nations Championships in Largs. I can think of better things to do with a weekend than sailing in little boats on the sea in Scotland.
One of her favourite sayings is "don't dis- my ability". It looks like Tom agrees with her.
Again. Fantastic achievement. Well done Tom. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jollyrambler

well done Tom & the little girl mentioned at the bottom of this page.You are a credit to all us diabetics & disabled people.Good luck with your studies.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great post to read on a miserable, wet Monday morning.
Well done Tom. :D :D :D

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done to Tom! I always feel inspired by people like him. Last year it was during Olympics. Wasnt aware there are so many olympians with diabetes!

Attachments

• olympians.jpg
    olympians.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,453

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great achievement Tom :clap:

insanity

Well done Tom!

I've been wanting to do Hellrunner/Tough Mudder for ages but didn't know how to do it with Diabetes. Now i'm thinking sod it lets do it :D :clap: :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Tom...

I loved reading your story and seeing the great photographs :thumbup:

Fantastic story and sooooo inspiring too . :clap:
Am ' really proud of you ' and will aspire to remember your story often .

Wonderful example of how many things CAN be achieved in spite of
living with a diabetes condition.
Bet you have so many more things lined up to do - now you have done this...

Please let us all know how you get on with your studies too .
You are a brilliant young man and I do hope you are feeling very chuffed and proud of yourself .
So you SHOULD be :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anna.

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
WELL DONE YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ALL AND MAINLY YOUNG DIABETICS STILL IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING YOU WILL TRY NO MATTER WHAT SOME MAKE YOU DID CONGRATS
JOHNTY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What a wonderful story, he is a top guy and I'm sure will do well at university. It looks fantastic and if I was able to go, I would give it a try, as nothing stops me, I'm still active and try to do lots and lots of phyiscal things with ( dare I say) another 5 years until the big six 0 :shock: :shock: Best wishes RRB

Dislikes
Negativity
I can appreciate everything you are saying Tom as I also competed in this event. It's good to see that I was not the only person with Type 1 competing and proving that it should not hold you back. I too had managed to get around the coarse with no diabetes related problems and was happy to see my sugar levels were at 6 when I finished just where I wanted them. Let this be a lesson to all those people out there new to diabetes who are worried that their active life is over. If we can do what is well known as the toughest assault coarse in the world without seeking help and in fact finishing in good health then you can too!! (not saying you have to though) :D Just get out there and do what ever takes your fancy!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Andrew :clap:

rachelsnj

What a fantastic acheivement Tom!! Brilliant!! From a the view of a mum with a T1 9 year old this is so great to see. You are an inspiration. My daughter read your post and says ACE I am gonna do that when I'm old enough!!! She is a fiery red head and is blessed with a 'nothing is gonna get in my way' attitude and wants to be a brain surgeon. I truly hope that by seeing that 'You can do it with diabetes' every child with T1 will go out and do whatever they dream of! Good luck with your exams Tom! :clap: :clap: :clap: and now i'm crying with happiness!

lesaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done Tom & friend,

My son age (9) was diagnosed 3 years ago tomorrow and his Uncle Chris is into the Tough Mudder thing also. He finished in the top 5% in the Kettering race last year so won entry to the World's Toughest Mudder in New Jersey in November. He completed 5 laps (50 miles, 130 obstacles) in the 24hr period and he loved it, he is hoping to go back this year. He raised money for JDRF.

We live in Scotland and my son completed in the kids Spartan Race in August - 2 miles with little obstacles - he won it and loved it too.

My son is football daft & trains 4 nights a week - he's hoping to be a footballer. Don't let diabetes stand in your the way - diabetes lives with you not the other way around.

Keep up the training and I'll be hoping to see you competing in the Worlds Toughest soon.

Best of luck

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done those young people!
Hana

lwhynda

What an amazing achievement, I was actually there supporting my son who is 32 but not diabetic but slightly brave and mad. I have never seen so many people shake with cold in this manner and your photo's are marvelous but I think you are underselling your self as I saw what runners endured and it was 10 times worse than what you have shown. You are one remarkable person and I wish you all the best. :clap: Are you doing this run www.majorseries.com ? :D

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Brilliant! absolutely brilliant! keep up the great work...

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Well Done Tom!! Of course you could do it. Many who failed probably did so because of lack of training--the major non ingredient to guarantee failure!!! I have spent most of my life doing things that others, including medics, told me I would not be able to do and it gives me perverse pleasure to prove everyone wrong!! Carry on accepting challenges, it is you, not the diabetes, that wins!!!!!!