1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

are you worried about future possible complications related to diabetes ?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Charis1213, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Charis1213

Charis1213 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What are you thoughts , do you think when we have it under control we won't get complications ?

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know what damage has been done to my body before DX. I don't know what the future holds.

My main concern is to try and control the here and now.

I am not considering the future, what on earth would the purpose be of worrying yourself sick thinking of all the possible complications that may well never happen.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Charis - I must say, my take on it is that I can't change what may have happened in the past, but I can try to do my best on a day to day basis now. Of course some days go better than others and sometimes events, sometimes stressful things, get in the way, but doing our best is important.

If, by past events, or as a result of things that we can't control in the future, I develop a complication, then I just have to deal with it.

As someone who was diagnosed over 5 years ago, of course it's easy to say, but that's where I am on it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Charis1213

I agree with you , my theory is that if we control our condition then surly that puts a stop to the conditions given upon diagnosis .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Nope. Worrying will cause its own problems and I have done more than enough stupid to cause my demise from non diabetic causes.

Living the diabetic way gives me quality of life now. My asthma has gone, lower leg inflamation/swelling has gone. I look good and sleep like a baby.

That will do me fine. No need to worry about tommorow.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

The future is a far off land, my actual unit of time is a week. How is this week doing against my hopes. Generally not too bad, some ups and some downs.
    Weigh myself once every two weeks, found weekly to be too often.
    So far so good.
    My fingers are crossed there's no change.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Charis1213

Have to admit to feeling the best i have in years , my friend said me and my husband look 10 years younger . I found that really amazing because I do think we both look younger and this is only in 7 weeks doing keto . Just has to be good .

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not really. Already sufferered from quite serious complications and have now recovered. Additionally, as I’m not using any medication to achieve glucose control, I feel that my body is happy with the natural tools I am giving it every day.

I’m certainly now on a truer path to good health and prosperity than I have been at any other time in my adult life. Time kills us all, but in terms of diabetes, I feel like I already dodged that bullet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope it's okay to bring the perspective of a T1 in

I was 16 when I was diagnosed, and consequently, immortal, and so I wasn't that worried about complications. Then, early 2018, after 6 years of T1, I got my background retinopathy diagnosis, and now complications seem to loom large like a monster around every corner. My Hba1c is 64, a lot higher than I would like, but I seem to be fighting a losing battle with it.

Some people just seem to have got some kind of magic luck - someone of my acquaintance has abused his diabetes constantly, and yet after over 20 years, not a single complication.

@hankjam that's a really good way of looking at it, and it gave me a little bit of hope :)

• Hug Hug x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  10. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

On diagnosis I had constant pins and needles, after several months that went away, eyes are fine, but my kidneys - which were ok on diagnosis - are now showing signs of unfair wear and tear :D

• Hug Hug x 5
  11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I don't worry about it at all. It never crosses my mind because I know I have normal levels and good blood markers with no medication, and am 5 years from diagnosis (or will be in exactly a week's time). I just do my best to keep it this way. No-one knows what is round the corner., and what is round the corner will still be there whether we worry about it or not.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I try not to think about it and do my utmost to control the beast

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Charis1213, After 52 years on insulin I still have not given up hope that whatever has happened to me, particularly through the early years before glucose meters, pumps, fancy insulins, CGM etc that I can still try to keep complications at bay.
    I just accept that cataracts happened as did carpal tunnel syndromes and trigger triggers. Some of us will likely be more prone to certain troubles than others.
    But figures like Dr Richard Bernstein and the fine example he sets give me inspiration.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I can't see any mechanism where we would be more likely to suffer from the usual suspects if we have the same blood sugar levels as non diabetics..?

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Worth remembering that apparently hypoglycaemics and exogenous insulin move the glucose out of the blood, not the body.

Lots of data and opinion to suggest that medicated glucose control isn’t necessarily, in itself, a reliable indicator of complication outcomes.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Well, I had a heart attack 14 years ago and died, was brought back. Tests found cancer cells in my cervix a few years back, ok now. Then I had Polyps on my Uterus. I contacted Campylobacter and was on a drip for 4 days and seriously ill. I have arthritis everywhere, I also have Fibromyalgia. Then I was diagnosed with being pre-diabetic. This is just another challenge for me. I am damned if I am going to become diabetic. I will fight it by keeping my BGL's in the right range. Diabetes is not the death sentence as it used to be. People are more clued up now..Hopefully, others will find this site and learn how they can help themselves get better, or the NHS will wake up and change their way of thinking regarding diet. We are all troopers : )

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well something is going to get us all one day, but yes I worry when I get a run of unexplained highs. Or when I've been wearing heels for days and my toes ache.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Who knows, we can only do our best to minimise the risk. Watch out for buses, tricky little so and sos (as in "could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow.")

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about background retinopathy, its very common in diabetics. But it can be reversed with good control, our bodies are marvelous things and with good control they can repair a lot of damage done before. The main aim is to get your glucose levels as close to a non-diabetic as possible (sounds easy but not so easy in practice I know). As they say, wear is a natural process but how quick it happens depends on how well you manage the process.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In many ways those of us who strive to keep our diabetes under control are probably likely to have fewer complications in life than those who are not diabetic who may be following a lifestyle guaranteed to make them ill. I think what most of us (on this site anyway) have in common is a desire to take control of our health across the board, not just in relation to glucose levels. I know you can't alter your genes but you sure as heck can improve your chances. So, in answer to the question, yes, it's natural to think about potential complications but not to worry excessively about them when we are doing good stuff to minimise them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook