arthritis and improved blood sugar levels

Dobbs

Stupid question time, possibly, but I have been wondering...
I've read a few sources that reckon there's a link between diabetes and arthritis. I discovered a few months ago I have some arthritis in my neck ("not major", my GP said) but in the past couple of months, as my blood sugars have come down to pretty good levels (fasting reading this morning was 5.9 :D ), my arthritis seems to have gotten worse - or at least I'm aware of it quite a bit of the time now, whereas it was only intermittent before. Does anybody think there's a connection here? Or not? And, uh, is there anything I should be doing that I'm not??

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't know of any links between arthritis and diabetes. Have you Googled for it?
However, it would make sense that GOOd BG control, would improve most conditions. If you are feeling something more than you wer, It's possible that your nerve transmission is improving as a result of better BG control. 5.9 is fairly good, but still well above a non-diabetic level of about 5

Romola

I would guess that these are associative conditions.

Several years ago, I joined the Arthritic Association

http://www.arthriticassociation.org.uk/index.php?section=about_us

I had mild arthritis, and followed their diet plan, and it eventually disappeared.

Their diet is no so similar to that which is recommended for diabetes, ie a basically healthy diet with a few no nos to start with. Happily I was able to reintroduce most of these in due course.

It may be that both conditions are triggered, and relieved, by similar lifestyle habits.

Dobbs

hanadr said:
5.9 is fairly good, but still well above a non-diabetic level of about 5

Yes, well I'm not planning to stop at that, just that I was really delighted to get my first ever 5-point-something this morning after having been in the 6s for some time! :D
Thanks everybody for the really helpful advice, yet again - I feel quite encouraged now to persevere with getting the BS stabilised even lower and look forward to further positive developments.