Article in NewScientist on cause of insulin resistance

zanc

"A gene that helps muscle cells burn fat can be radically altered and switched off if the cells carrying it are exposed to fat ....the altered cells become so engorged with unburnt fat, they become "diabetic", no longer accepting signals from the hormone insulin, which normally triggers the absorption of glucose from the bloodstream."

First time I have read anything that describes the process of insulin resistance.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news

Full article at:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/132/8/2440S

veggienft

Type 2 diabetes is not an autoimmune disease. The tendency of people to develop type 2 diabetes rests firmly on human nature.

Junk food is tasty and addictive. Junk food makes people sick. The tendency to get sick from junk food worsens with age. Some people have autoimmune genetics (type 1), some do not (type 2).

Eating junk food makes type 1 people immediately ill. How do they normally respond? They stop eating so much junk food. Eating junk food does not make type 2 people immediately ill. How do they respond? They eat junk food until the secondary effects, the autoimmune conditions, make them ill.

Junk food is not just something which comes in a cheap supermarket box. Junk food can be very expensive. Spending money doesn't wash the junk out of junk food.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Eating junk food makes type 1 people immediately ill. How do they normally respond? They stop eating so much junk food.

No they don't, they keep eating it and cover it with more insulin!! ( with apologies to sensible type 1's :D )

They ( type 2's) eat junk food until the secondary effects, the autoimmune conditions, make them ill.

For a type 2 it's Metabolic not autoimmune!

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
They ( type 2's) eat junk food until the secondary effects, the autoimmune conditions, make them ill.[/quote]

Seems like veggienft is quoting the party line again, must work for the NHS, his argument that junk food causes T2 doesn't cover those cases that get T2 , are not overwight and eat a comparatively healthy diet. so what's the explanation for that then? We can do without getting blamed for what we eat when it is healthy and balanced, mano :twisted: :twisted:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi veggie
I wish that were true
I would not then have T2, since my exposure to junk food was only ever, 1 trip to the "burger place" per school holiday, as treat for child.
I did share a chicken salad at Macdonald's yesterday with grandchild. The easiest low carb food to get when out and about
I have NEVER bought fried chicken and even restaurants are rare in my way of life. I'm a good cook and prepare first rate food from scratch every day and have done so for over 40 years, and so does my Mum.( but SHE still believes carbs are essential)
Hana

Jo123

veggienft said:
Type 2 diabetes is not an autoimmune disease. The tendency of people to develop type 2 diabetes rests firmly on human nature.

Junk food is tasty and addictive. Junk food makes people sick. The tendency to get sick from junk food worsens with age. Some people have autoimmune genetics (type 1), some do not (type 2).

Eating junk food makes type 1 people immediately ill. How do they normally respond? They stop eating so much junk food. Eating junk food does not make type 2 people immediately ill. How do they respond? They eat junk food until the secondary effects, the autoimmune conditions, make them ill.

Junk food is not just something which comes in a cheap supermarket box. Junk food can be very expensive. Spending money doesn't wash the junk out of junk food.

I find this quite insulting, I very rarely eat junk food certainly none in the last 10 years and vary rarely earlier, my children moan that they have only had junk food about once a year throughout their lives, have never been fat, have always exercised, you are completely out of order and make me very cross. Am I jumping to the wrong conclusion or are you saying that type 2 diabetics are all junk food addicts?