artifical sweetness and blood sugar levels

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume that this has been asked before but I haven't found it. Some artifical sweetness cause my blood sugar levels to go way up. Where is this glucose coming from? I actually just don't understand how this happens. Obviously I try to avoid those but haven't yet got my head around all the numbers for different ones.

Some also seem to spike me some times and not other times.

Work has been really busy and quite stressful- working long hours so would really like something a little sweet. I have been very low carb for over 9 months and cut out anything g sweet for ages but alas my tastes have not changed:(

I know this is for life so trying to get the balance right.

Once again just want to thank everyone e here for all the help I've received. You are really awesome.

Reactions: Lil_Miss_Cuddly

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume that this has been asked before but I haven't found it. Some artifical sweetness cause my blood sugar levels to go way up. Where is this glucose coming from? I actually just don't understand how this happens. Obviously I try to avoid those but haven't yet got my head around all the numbers for different ones.

Some also seem to spike me some times and not other times.

Work has been really busy and quite stressful- working long hours so would really like something a little sweet. I have been very low carb for over 9 months and cut out anything g sweet for ages but alas my tastes have not changed:(

I know this is for life so trying to get the balance right.

Once again just want to thank everyone e here for all the help I've received. You are really awesome.
Far as I understand it, when you taste/smell something sweet, a bit of insulin is released preemptively... And then when there's no actual sugar for it to tackle, and a low is imminent, the liver starts dumping to compensate. (And as per usual, the little fiend overcompensates.). That's how I read it anyway.