Artificial Pancreas

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Reactions: 12 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another promising development. I don't think it will be too long before something like this can take managing diabetes out of our hands.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is great news and very encouraging, thanks for posting Sid :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Looks great but by the time testing is complete the NHS will have run out of money so we'll send them all to the USA ;-)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm, daughter's school fees or a new pancreas?

Interesting in that it goes one step beyond a pump and CGM by reacting to drops in blood glucose as well. Would be great as an athlete to be able to go out and have a run/cycle/swim/play rugby etc any time without haveing to think about dose reductions, timing etc.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think it is really exciting to see that research and development in this area has progressed to this stage and that there is now a real chance of a viable "cure" for certain type of diabetes that it will probably be seen within many of our lifetimes.

Whether it is this development or one of several others that are currently under development the future has never looked brighter for a real diabetes cure :)

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is really exciting to see that research and development in this area has progressed to this stage and that there is now a real chance of a viable "cure" for certain type of diabetes that it will probably be seen within many of our lifetimes.

Whether it is this development or one of several others that are currently under development the future has never looked brighter for a real diabetes cure :)
Totally agree with you Sid, this is from one of the charitable donations http://www.dmu.ac.uk/about-dmu/news...enerosity-of-the-edith-murphy-foundation.aspx :happy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I totally agree Sid, there's exciting times ahead and it would be great to see a cure of sorts in our lifetime :)

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although an artificial pancreas might warrant acception by the body, which in turn might need you to take oral medication in order for it to be completely functional and integrated, but I think taking oral medication is easier than injecting especially with not having to go to first aid room or toilets when out and about to inject insulin. A proper grown pancreas from your stem cells won't require medication, theoretically.